Removeable door tops

Anyone ever seen this done? I've been told that Tornado offered this as an option, but I've never seen it. Anybody ever considered doing it?
Simon

Hi Simon,

Andy posted pictures of our tops here last fall.

They used to be in the Tornado forum.

Don't know if Ron ever split those threads up into their respective area's.

Have you searched?

Cheers,
Scott

HI Simon,

I believe CAV offer an option for a targa top, which is similar to removeable door tops. There is a previous thread on here somewhere with some piccies.

Cheers,

Graham.

finally found them back...titel says CAV GT40

PA050031.jpg

The use other type doors, a bit ala stratos style look...nice.

PA050039.jpg

PA050032.jpg

there's also a yellow one

spyder3_big.jpg

anyway here the website with more pictures and info

CAV GT-40 Photos by S/C Motorsports

GTRene

also on the same website you can find this beauty GT40

CAV GT-40 Photos by S/C Motorsports

just push >>> I set it at the start of the first foto, one out the set is this with the roof up

mm6.jpg

and here without

mm2.jpg

from the side the "stratos" lined door gives the car a extra sporty line.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Could be a good idea for tall people when at a track day when wearing a helmet.

In general use I prefer it as original

Ian

I like the look in number 6. Although most days I would like a traditional/original look (hard top). The flexibility of both would be my ideal system similar to the GTX1 that is out there.

Theon Karabatsos

Yup. we done it! Sorry but I don't of close up photos but I can take some in the next few days and post them. Somewhere to store them.... this is a bit of a problem if you want to travel with them but we think we can just about mount them under the nostril. I drove the car for the first time on Tuesday and when the tops were off it felt great. And not too much of a problem with wind either. We have made a slightly larger than standard lip on the door surround and flaired it up which may have helped as intended. Also we managed to make the seam so tight that it hardly notices.top1.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a few older pics. I will get the car out and snap some better ones as soon as it stops raining and I've fitted the new alternator. Notice the one in three hill I live on... make for some interesting maneuvers in the car and tends to wake the neighbors. The way we have done it means that all that is needed by the driver is an Allen key on the key ring and it really is an easy one man operation to remove or attach the tops.

Attachments

• doortops01.jpg
    doortops01.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Back