Oil & Grease points

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I have had a look around and cant find anything on here, but are there known oil/grease points on a GTD based '40.

The reason I ask is that I have just found out (rather too late) that the rear anti roll bar clamps are supposed to be oiled at regular (how regular) intervals.

One is quite badly worn and I have just removed them , so that they can be rebored and sleeved, however on inspection, there is an oil hole at the top of both.
Are there any other points which should be oiled/greased as a matter of course? I presume CV joints, wheels bearings, but is there an idiots guide anywhere? Or can anyone give me some ideas, particularly hidden ones like the roll bar?

Sorry Richard, I can't help advise on this but its a great question and something I've been thinking about a lot lately as I am due to start on my build very soon. Lets hope someone can help shed some light on the subject.

Trev

Hi Richard
the GTD uses mainly Granada mechanical joints and bearings, some use the later scorpio front hub bearings which are lubricated on assembly and have no adjustment facility, some cars use the granada mk1 or mk2 front upright/hub carrier that has taper roller bearings which can be adjusted and lubricated as per the granada workshop manuals.
Most steering /ball joints are of the sealed for life type and there is no facility to lubricate, but do check for split gaiters etc.
From experiane a little EP90 gear oil injected in to the drive shaft CV joints will stop the grease drying out and thus will keep the CVs lubed and
quiet.The steering rack gaiters often fail and lose oil ,refill by injecting gear oil via the rod end of the gaiter,insert carefully a slim nozzle of your oilcan and pump oil in ,dont over do it , and refit the clip or ty wrap.
If you have a rod gear linkeage then oil all the sliders/joints to ease the gearchange, if you have rose joints in your suspension then clean them with acloth and WD40 and then lightly oil.
Often overlooked until too late is the wiper wheel box and rack, you can work some grease into the gear from under the dash and also with the wiper running inject (with care) a little gear oil to the racktube, do not jam the oil can nozzle in the gear!
hope this helps,
cheers
John.

Back