Nut Riveter needed

Hi all

I am just finalising some of the tools Ill need when the chassis arrives next week and realised I don't have a nut riveter. I've had a look on ebay and found a few but want some advice if people think these will be up to the job:

Laser tools nut riveter

Professional nut riveter

I'd appreciate your thoughts on these or suggestions on alternative nut riveters.

Thanks all

Trev

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Not too sure on those - handles look a bit lightweight

I got one from Car Builder solutions - goes up to 8mm and can also do steel inserts - some are only good for Ali inserts

See
RIVNUT KIT HEAVY DUTY RIVHD

Pricy but it worked fairly well

Ian

Trevor:
I have the same tool that Scott posted and it works well, up to about 1/4" rivnuts. After that they get a little difficult to set properly, and it will take 2 strong hands to bottom the rivnut.
You can check out Huck, they make a unit that is hydraulic, and it will set up to 1/2" nuts, but it is pricey, about $300.
Just a note, don't bother with those cheapo aluminum rivnuts, go for the cad plated steel ones, much stronger and they have a better grip on the material.
Just my 2c
Cheers
Phil

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Trevor:
I have the same tool that Scott posted and it works well, up to about 1/4" rivnuts. After that they get a little difficult to set properly, and it will take 2 strong hands to bottom the rivnut.
You can check out Huck, they make a unit that is hydraulic, and it will set up to 1/2" nuts, but it is pricey, about $300.
Just a note, don't bother with those cheapo aluminum rivnuts, go for the cad plated steel ones, much stronger and they have a better grip on the material.
Just my 2c
Cheers
Phil

Phil

I agree except when mounting into the fiberglass - iron / seel will rust and blow out Ali will not

(Or so I was told)

So I fixed healight covers and windows in with Ali rivnuts

Ian

Malcolm

Supporter
I used the tool that is the second one down from this company and it is great! I got a 4mm 6mm and 8mm version. I consider it a good half way house between an expensive pro air tool and a good diy tool.

Rivnut Tools

Ian:
You are correct about the fiberglass, I was thinking in a sheet metal application. The aluminum nuts I have seen for fiberglass have a sleeve that pulls up and grips the material. I have also seen the steel nuts actually crack the fiberglass from expansion.
Glad you brought that up, a little research would probably get the correct nut for the application.
Having the hole sized correctly is also a big factor, the nut should push in with a bit of resistance.
Cheers
Phil

Hi all

Thanks for the advice so far. I had a look at one of the cheaper nut riveter guns at Race retro last weekend but didn't think they looked up to the job and the person selling them thought the mandrel might snap on steel.

However I have found this one:
Gesipa GBM 5 Rivet Nut Tool Set For M4/M5/M6 Nutserts : Tooled-Up.com

It seems to be mid range in terms of price and is made by the same company that make the electric accubird riveters which I gather a few members on here use and hold in high regard.

Do you think this would be suitable?

Thanks

Trev

Better Still, what about the Gesipa GBM 10, looks a bit more solid and can take different size riv nuts.

Gesipa GBM 10 Nut Sert Tool For M5 Rivet Nuts : Tooled-Up.com

30432610.jpg

Trev

Back