Do you dress to the left or right?

Not sure where to put this Ron, so feel free to move as you see fit.

I am about to fit my shifter assembly. My car is right hand drive. As I am quite a big bloke (wide, not fat), I can't decide as to whether I site the shifter to the left by the fuel sponson, or in the middle, as per left hand drive cars.

The middle is more practical, but not as authentic. I'm not building a true replica anyway, as I will have a bling stereo, reversing cameras etc etc...

So I need your opinions on this...

Should I dress to the left or to the right. It looks soooo good on the right, but it is intrusive to the cockpit space, and this will be a car driven a fair bit on the road.

Also, will it knacker the value in any way?

Let me know your thoughts guys!

Cheers :thumbsup:

Graham.

Graham,

I don't think this will make any difference how wide you are (and believe me I know!) if your shifter is "in" the sill rather than alongside it, I personally think that's the best way to go. It leaves all the central tunnel free.
JMHO.

Simon

By the way, you going to Detling?

Hi Graham. IMHO Keep it to the right. When I was looking around for a GT40 I rejected several with centre gear sticks purely on that feature alone. I also think it devalues the car. So, it makes it more impractical - not one of the main factors for considering such a car in the first place. Hell, there's no boot space (unless you get a MkIII or the new one). How's that for impracticality?

BTW - are you still looking for a 331 stroker kit? I have one.

Graham,

I don't think this will make any difference how wide you are (and believe me I know!) if your shifter is "in" the sill rather than alongside it, I personally think that's the best way to go. It leaves all the central tunnel free.
JMHO.

Simon

By the way, you going to Detling?

Hi Simon,

Unfortunately no, The wife has me making up for all the time spent on the car this weekend, so it's garden centre's for me today i'm afraid :(

As to the shifter, the RCR unit sits alongside the sill, not "in" the sill, so it will use up a bit of space, and it doesn't look as good as the in sill units imho. I can't really complain as the rest of the car is great.

Cheers and have a good day out (lucky sod) :)
Graham.

Hi Graham. IMHO Keep it to the right. When I was looking around for a GT40 I rejected several with centre gear sticks purely on that feature alone. I also think it devalues the car. So, it makes it more impractical - not one of the main factors for considering such a car in the first place. Hell, there's no boot space (unless you get a MkIII or the new one). How's that for impracticality?

BTW - are you still looking for a 331 stroker kit? I have one.

Hi Steve,

I agree re the right "look" of the interior. I was leaning towards the right, and will probably end up going that way.

And yes, I am looking for a 331 stroker kit, but I'm not sure about specs as yet. What do you have. PM me with the details and what you want price wise.

Cheers,

Graham.

P.S. how's your RCR coming on?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Side shift not center

Now just think
Driving down the road sellect 5th (Right and Forward) now how are you going to get your left foot up high enough off the clutch?

Sorry if people have managed this but I know of at least one car that does not get into 5th for this reason (Driver 6'4")

Ian

Hi

I am building an RCR and found that by moving to a rod gearchange I saved valuable space as the selector box is narrower. Also the rod selector looks much neater, it is a replica of the original and is available from Mick Sollis at Southern GT. Send me an e-mail and I will reply with pics.

Best

John

Back