maroon GT40 in old photos at FAV works

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I am looking for photos of the group of GT40s at the FAV works- there are some pictures which were taken in the sixties of a group of finished cars, and in that group is one maroon car. (we are trying to copy that color if we can- it hasn't turned out to be particularly easy to do this and I am looking for more information which might show which one it is by chassis number, which might get me to the original color code)

If anyone can post anything, I'd be grateful. We are at the point where I am going to have to settle on a color within a week. The Jaguar paint code I found turned out to be a color that was too orange and way too warm- doesn't look like the pictures. So I am still looking.

Thanks to all, as always, for the continued encouragement and support. Really it would not be possible to do anything like this without the help of the GT40s community, to all of whom I am most appreciative.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I am looking for photos of the group of GT40s at the FAV works- there are some pictures which were taken in the sixties of a group of finished cars, and in that group is one maroon car. (we are trying to copy that color if we can- it hasn't turned out to be particularly easy to do this and I am looking for more information which might show which one it is by chassis number, which might get me to the original color code)

If anyone can post anything, I'd be grateful. We are at the point where I am going to have to settle on a color within a week. The Jaguar paint code I found turned out to be a color that was too orange and way too warm- doesn't look like the pictures. So I am still looking.

Thanks to all, as always, for the continued encouragement and support. Really it would not be possible to do anything like this without the help of the GT40s community, to all of whom I am most appreciative.

According to the build sheet, the color of 1059 is "opalescent maroon" Go figure, but a search of 1960 Brit colors shows the name as a Jaguar XKE color circa 1965-66!

As the photo probably does not reflect the ture color, go to the paint store and spend hours paging thru the color books and pick what you like!!!

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Hi Jim,

My 1990 Ford Sierra Cosworth was Magenta - a deep maroon that may be more what you are looking for, albeit a newer colour. I believe the colour code was: Magenta '89 (XSC 2159MC). Perhaps someone in the UK could confirm that?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Thanks to all. I spent some more time on this, and also emailed Gelscoe, who had a maroon car in their care for a while. I didn't come up with anything, so I went through the Sikkens color chip book and found something. Glenn sprayed it on one of the rocker panels, and we carried it out in the sun, and it looks fine, so that's what we'll go with.

We did mix up the color from the sixties Jaguar catalog. It's a nice color, but it's too red/orange, it's not blue enough. This one that we picked is quite dark, but it will look good. At night it will read like a plum or red-purple color, but that's okay; I just don't want something too bright. I'm not too bright myself, and I want the car to match its owner ;)

Back