Smiths speedometers

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
When I bought instruments for my GT40, I purchased a set of Smiths gauges from Apt. This was about four or five years ago, and they sat around until the dashboard was ready for them. I was smart enough to get an electronic tachometer, which I think can be driven off the MSD box, maybe using an MSD tach adapter, but I bought a mechanical speedometer; worse yet, one that only goes up to 170 mph.

And today, after a lot of phone calls over the past month and one today to Dennis Olthoff at SPF, I bought what I ought to have ordered to begin with: an electronic Smiths speedo, which reads to 200 mph (proper GT40 speedo) and which will be driven from a sensor located next to one of the drive axles. According to Dennis, this solves the problem of having to replace speedometer cables every thousand or so miles, plus not having accurate odometer information.

This way, when I get speeding tickets, which I undoubtedly will do, I will have some basis for arguing with the arresting officer. :)

And thank you, Dennis, for your help. Even if it isn't an SPF car...

Ron Earp

Admin
You might have another option. I've been talking to the company that Jack posted on that makes the GPS speedo. They are looking into make a Smiths clone but GPS driven. I just got one for the Lola and if it works as good as it looks then I think life is going to get a whole lot easier for builders.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Ron is right, if I had to do it over again I would order the GPS speedo. Jim you have the same unit I have which is fine but still you have to run wires, the GPS is plug and play.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It freezes, like my GPS on the boat does, until it can get new position information. Wish I'd known about that, but Dennis Olthoff makes a bracket for the sensor for the electronic speedo that already fits a ZF transaxle.

Besides, the GPS speedometer sends information to the government about how fast you are going and where you are. Everyone knows that. And it beams thoughts into your head, too. ;)

Back