New GT-40 Gauge Package

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
After a discussion on the SPF forum about using a GPS-driven speedometer instead of the designed-to-break cable driven setup that came with some of the cars, I contacted Speedhut to see if they would customize their gauge faces to match as mutch as possible the Smiths gauges. After exchanging a lot of photos and proofs, they have released that package, and I think they did a good job, especially given the constraints.

You can see the gauges here:

Kits Gauge, Legacy GT40 Gauges by SpeedHut

Whole package of seven completely electronic gauges is a little over $800.

And by the way, apparently if you want individual gauges you "design" them using the sites many design options, but specifying the GT40 "font". The gauge faces are made to order.

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Speedhut has actually just joined as an advertiser. More in the Advertiser's section when it becomes available.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I like the idea of a GPS speedometer...if my Toyota truck had one I would have gotten the entire warranty I was supposed to....not 96% of it.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
This sounds like an interesting story.... do tell.....

I suspect due to oversize tires.... my F250 runs 35" tires and I'm out by 10% on the speedo. The beauty of GPS is no recalibration required for tire diameters, run 15" track or 17" street wheels and it will be just as accurate either way.

The only caveat I see is in satellite blackspots, tunnels etc. you'll likely have no speedo?

Our new GPS updates at 5htz. The update rate is fast enough that there is no lag in accel and decel pointer movement. The reports back from our customers have also confirmed this.

Really the only issue with GPS arises when traveling through tunnels or parking garages. You will loose the signal in those situations. Once out of the tunnel the GPS will return to normal operation.

As i understand it, GPS is legal in the UK. The old SVA test definately allowed GPS speed, and from what i can see in the IVA guide i don't think this has changed.

The SVA test didn't require you to complete the rolling road speedo calibration check unless your speed what sensed from the driven wheels or drive train. Therefore fitting the speed pickup to the front wheels, or using GPS mean't you didn't have to perform that part of the test. The inspectors test drive was used to check the operation of the speedo but obviously not the exact calibration. I believe this is still true with IVA although i haven't personal experience to know for sure.

I'm at a test centre tomorrow morning i'll try and grab the inspector and ask.

D.

We just started a July 4th sale going on now through the 9th.
10% off our kits
15 % off our individual gauges.

Our kit prices are always discounted 15% below our individual gauge prices. So the savings is in effect 15% + 10% off.

If you decide to scratch build a kit from individual gauges you will receive an additional 10% off in addition to the 15% off when you order 4 or more gauges.

Update on my last post. Not such good news, damn it.

Spoke with the IVA inspector at Gillingham today, which is the test station that do all the factory Caterham IVA's.

His first comment was absolutely not allowed to use GPS for the speedo as it must be able to be checked on the roller machine at the test station. Then i pointed out that Caterhams and others (mine included) mount the speed sensor on the front wheels where the rollers can't measure it and therefore they don't test it. He said that was Ok because Caterham have done it for so many years like that and have a sort of European type approval that sets a precedence allowing the fitment on the front wheels and not having to test them. I sort of argued that some motorbikes use GPS for speed and that it'll be more accurate and reliable for a kit car, and he understood my argument but as far as he was aware he wasn't allowed to pass a car with GPS speedo.

He suggested i talk to VOSA technical services and discuss with them, and if i could get written documentation from them saying that the inspectors should allow it based on the test drive proving the guage works, and illuminates correctly etc etc then he would have to allow it. I guess that is the next step, but it might help to have a sample with any documentation to send to them for this process.

Despite other forum threads, apparently the welding of balance bars is still the only acceptable method of preventing adjustment. Also contrary to SVA proceedures cable ties are now loved by IVA, so feel free to mount any cables, wires and fuel lines etc with cable ties so long as they are used every 30 cm.

D.

Just to add to the GTS Tuning comments. My GT40 was SVA'd in 2001 and they did check the speedo calibration. As I remember, the tester had the car on a rolling road. He adjusted engine speed until the speedo read exactly 30,40,50 and 60 and at each point clicked a button. At the end of the test he printed out the measured speed of the rolling road at each button click. The test failed because my speedo read 1mph too low (ie speedo read 40, actual speed 41).
There is zero tollerance on low reading speedo's and a few mph on high reading. Fortunately, he allowed me a retest of this in the afternoon, so I was able to recalibrate the speedo during lunch. I went home with a pass!! The recalibration story is a bit longer, but if anyone wants to know, just ask.
Regards
Dave

Just received my gauge set from Speedhut.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If they work as well as they look, I will be well pleased.

Well packaged, good instructions, and love 4th of July discounts:heart:

Clive

I'm getting kinda tired of not having a working speedo and really tired of having a gauge set that's barely bright enough to see at night. Can someone who's already got a speedhut setup post a pic of the cluster during daylight and darkness?

Thanks in advance
Rich.

Chuck

Supporter
I installed the Speed Hut gauges several months ago. They look great. The GPS speedo actually picks up a signal in the garage. Detail on the install on my build blog. Hope these pictures help.

Attachments

• DashInstall2.JPG
    DashInstall2.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 436
  • DashInstall3.JPG
    DashInstall3.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 473
  • SteeringWheel5.JPG
    SteeringWheel5.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 464
I bought a 4" legacy GPS speedo in 2011.
It was a simple slot-in replacement for the Stewart Warner and just required a couple of wires to supply power and lights.
It worked very well - yes, the needle drops to 0 in tunnels, but we drive on the tachometer, don't we? Just remember what revs you need to do to stay within the limit in 5th gear and you'll be safe until the end of the tunnel.
One point. Shortly after fitting my speedo, I noticed that the max registered speed had gone up to 500mph(!!). This occurred several times, so I contacted Speedhut. They were very concerned, posted me a new antenna, and when that didn't fix it, sent me a replacement speedo with a redesigned circuit board, which did the trick. And that was to UK by couriered air mail. As the car was laid up for the winter, they even sent it with the total mileage from the old instrument.
That's what I call service.

Back