De-burring holes

Hi all

I need to de-burr all my drill holes in the aluminium panels and chassis rail of my GT40 before I start rivetting everything into place. Does anyone know of a good deburring tool that's quick and easy to use?

The holes I have drilled are 5mm.

I've seen something like this which looks good but I don't want to make the rivets countersink into the hole just remove all the swarf from the top of the hole:
YouTube - Micro Deburring Tool

Thanks

Trevor

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
They work pretty good, we use them on the machining centres a lot
--keep your cutters sharp so they cut a clean hole in the first place --even "double drilling" a hole for a minimal burr, eg:- 4mm then 5mm. with a bit of Kero for Ally

Nother alternative :-
http://www.shaviv.com/

Last edited:
Trev

I have been carrying out major paneling on my replica using a second hand tornado chassis and pass on the following that may be of use.

- slower speed = neater cut as metal does not deform so much

- panels that can be given its final drilling out clamped to a chipboard base result in little or no burs

- best deburer i have found is a brand new Bosch countersunk bit [ 2 types with different angles ...experiment] used in large pillar drill to take off tiniest amount.

Experiment on scrap & it will all come together.

Hope of use to u & others

KarlB

I recently got a tip from a good friend. Take an old screwdriver with a nice big plastic handle, heat up the shaft with a torch and remove remove it. Then install a countersink designed for metal in its place, a multi fluted one works best. Works great!

I've just ordered a tapered reamer which apparently are good as well. Not sure how well it will work but I'll let you know.

31NbzeAOBNL._SL500_.jpg

Trev

Those tapered reamers are for enlarging a hole not deburring. The angle is to sharp. you want a tool with an angle in the 45 degree range. for hand deburring of holes in aluminum and steel sheet metal you will find that the swivel handle will work the best. on small holes the counter sink deburring tools work also. you can get swivel bits that will do both side at one time
Deburring Tools
http://www.deburringtools.com/deburringblades.html check out the c-30 style blade

I prefer single hole countersinks for hole deburring. Once you try one, you'll never want to use anything else!

The 5-piece set (82 degree) comes in very handy on almost any drilling operation.
McMaster-Carr

Jeff

Trev,
For my build, in the main most of the holes are around 4mm for the rivets and for these a 10mm HSS drill bit either twisted by hand or slow speed drilled deburrs fine and is quick. If you have a panels with multiple holes, it is much quicker with the 10mm drill than with a hand tool.
Ian

Back