GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > >

Notices

GT40 Tech - Exterior, Interior, AC, & Trim All that other stuff not in categories above.

Old 6th July 2010, 05:26 PM   #1
BigB98
CURRENTLY BANNED
United States

GT40: RCR MKIV
Fiberglass help: Need to make a piece go from side inlets to turkey pan

Ok, so on a MKIV, there's side inlets on the back shell that need to go directly to the turkey pan. On the original cars, these are glass tubes that when the shell closes rests right in the pocket per the picture at the link.

Questions: How the heck do I make them, support them while making them, get them aligned???

Ford Mk IV - High Resolution Image (12 of 12)
BigB98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 06:10 PM   #2
EGLITOM
10 tenths
Germany

GT40: RCR40;LR331;G50
Re: Fiberglass help: Need to make a piece go from side inlets to turkey pan

BRake cooling( at least thats what comes up when i follow the link), I thought you talk about fresh air to the carb ?

TOM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EGLITOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 06:16 PM   #3
molleur
Bronze Supporter
United States

GT40: SL-C LS1/930LSD

Use a piece of PVC pipe, slightly larger than your duct hose as a male mold to make cylinders from FRP or CF. Secondary bond on your mounting tabs. Should be fairly easy. Just a suggestion...
molleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 08:26 PM   #4
BigB98
CURRENTLY BANNED
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGLITOM View Post
BRake cooling( at least thats what comes up when i follow the link), I thought you talk about fresh air to the carb ?

TOM
Sorry...provided the wrong link....although I don't have much in the way of a picture of the actual duct...You just see the turkey pan here.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/image...d-Mk-IV_11.jpg
Old 7th July 2010, 08:29 PM   #5
BigB98
CURRENTLY BANNED
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by molleur View Post
Use a piece of PVC pipe, slightly larger than your duct hose as a male mold to make cylinders from FRP or CF. Secondary bond on your mounting tabs. Should be fairly easy. Just a suggestion...
I think you're saying to wrap fiberglass mat around a piece of CV pipe, which makes good sense. Not sure I understand the CV being a bit bigger? Wouldn't it need to be smaller diameter to build the mat up to be the right size for the inlet? I'm probably misunderstanding something there. How do you get the pipe out after the fact?

Can you tell that I don't have much fiberglass experience?
Old 7th July 2010, 09:18 PM   #6
molleur
Bronze Supporter
United States

GT40: SL-C LS1/930LSD

Sorry, I misled you on this a little. Yes, your final diameter should be the ID of your duct hose, allowing for the thickness of your 'glass layup. I'd use one or two layers of 1-1/2 ounce mat and a finish layer of 6 ounce cloth (total of about 1/16"). This will give a better finished appearance. Mold release wax and/or PVA (poly vinyl alchohol) release agent is used on the PVC pipe prior to any fiberglassing. Should slide off of the PVC with a little air pressure or water after the fiberglass has cured. The PVA is water soluable. Will have smooth interior. Post finish the exterior as you please.

Hope this helps.. Just love your car BTW!
molleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 07:29 AM   #7
jac mac
I Have No Life
New Zealand

Smile Re: Fiberglass help: Need to make a piece go from side inlets to turkey pan

These two pics give a better idea of the ducts & where they have to sit, I marked them in the interior shot of the clip ( you'll have to blow them up to about 400% to see them).

If you make the F/glass parts over your PVC in two halves with a split/flange then glue together after removing them from your PVC pattern it might be easier.

Last edited by jac mac; 20th January 2014 at 12:13 AM.
jac mac is offline   Reply With Quote