Rear window template

Hi all

I recently received my rear window for my Tornado. The window shape is marked onto the window ready for cutting and as standard comes as a rounded shape (see picture below).
attachment.php

However I want my car to have the more authentic triangular shape as per the orignal cars

Does anyone have any sort of template or could provide a high resolution image of their rear window cut out so I can plan the shape on my window. Also have any other tornado owners done this in the past?

Thanks

Trevor

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Trevor, Use the rear bodywork as the template - On the GTD it is the correct shape for the window, though I'm unsure about the tornado product. I too think the rounded ends are ...........
well, just that. Rounded ends.....

Trevor, Use the rear bodywork as the template - On the GTD it is the correct shape for the window, though I'm unsure about the tornado product. I too think the rounded ends are ...........

Andy at Tornado say the rounded shape is to make the window fitment easier which I can totally appreciate as I can imagine its a tricky job but as with everything so far I want the window to look as per the originals. David if you have images of the GTD shape or other rear windows can you post them up

Thanks

Trevor

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I would mean a drive to go and get a copy of mine as it's over in Arborfield near Reading. Do you have a rear body section yet? Or do you know anyone that has?
All I did was taped a piece of harboard across the rear section roughly where the window would be and marker penned the hardboard. Then I had a template to work from - my brother supplied some cut to the template fancy glass from the aeroplane industry and Henry Atherton (who built the Safir tubs) made a rubber template and an aluminium surround for it and welded the surround into the car and fitted the window.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
OK - ask around if anyone has a similar car to the one you are building in the midlands area ? You can come and copy mine if you want but it's a bit of a treck for you.

Just found some photos - I'll try and upload them.

Last edited:
Trevor as David says the window should match the plenumb on the rear clip - might be worth waiting till you have the clip as the alignment is slightly different on every car. I can trace around the window on my car and post you it if you can't wait - if so pm me.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
window in situ

Attachments

• Canon 2G card 984.jpg
    Canon 2G card 984.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 283
  • Canon 2G card 985.jpg
    Canon 2G card 985.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 281
  • Canon 2G card 989.jpg
    Canon 2G card 989.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 261
  • Canon 2G card 991.jpg
    Canon 2G card 991.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 251
  • Canon 2G card 996.jpg
    Canon 2G card 996.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 276
  • Canon 2G card 997.jpg
    Canon 2G card 997.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 275
Trevor as David says the window should match the plenumb on the rear clip - might be worth waiting till you have the clip as the alignment is slightly different on every car. I can trace around the window on my car and post you it if you can't wait - if so pm me.

Hey Paul

Just looked at your build pictures, your rear window shape looks perfect. If it's possible for you to trace round the window to create a template that would be great.

Andy at Tornado advised cutting the window before I rivet the rear bulkhead into place so ideally I need to do it sooner rather than later as I am planning on getting all the panels to the powder coaters before xmas. I'll pm you my address paul

Trevor

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Trevor --

E-mail or PM your address and I can send you a tracing of the rear window from my SPF. It's not in the car so it's very easy for me to do.

Alan Watkins

Hi all

I received two templates from Alan Watkins & Andy Green which was a massive help. Together I've combined the templates to use Andy Greens measurements and radius' and copied Alan's curvature at the top of the window to create my current template.

The template shares the same tallest point and same widest points as of that provided by tornado.

build-december5.jpg

Here is the standard tornado shape for reference
build-december6.jpg

What do you think, will this work and does the shape look correct?

Trev

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Alan,

For what it's worth. I supplied a template of that rear window to the builder of a reproduction of an ' original ' chassis. Don't believe the hype. Its very different to certain so called 'exact' copies of 'original' cars, with '98%' compatabitily issues.
i can only guess that econimic issue come into play at some point.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Alan,

For what it's worth. I supplied a template of that rear window to the builder of a reproduction of an ' original ' chassis. Don't believe the hype. Its very different to certain so called 'exact' copies of 'original' cars, with '98%' compatabitily issues.
i can only guess that econimic issue come into play at some point.

Andy --

Sorry I'm not quite following you. You're saying that the SPF window outline is quite different from that of an "original" GT40? If so I'm just curious: how/where does it differ?

And by "certain so called 'exact' copies of 'original' cars, with '98%' compatabitily issues." what exactly are you talking about? Is some replica claiming 98% accuracy?

Trevor,
Just remember that wherevere you gett the glass from to get it with the correct E mark...

Brett

Hey Brett

The rear window has been supplied by Tornado so this should be fine. It's not glass but seems to be some kind of plexiglass.

Trev

Back