question on rivets for seat trampolines

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I have found, I think, all the materials I need to assemble the seat trampolines for my car- this is the network of webbing that goes under the seat cushion itself. I also have photos of original cars which show the assembled trampolines; the webbing straps are held together with what look like chrome-plated domed rivets. It seems to me that these would need to be rather broad to avoid tearing through the Pirelli webbing. I don't have a source for the rivets. If anyone knows what these are and where to find them, or something like them that will do the job, could you let me know- here, so anyone else can find them as well? Or by PM or email, if you choose. They don't have to be original- they just have to work like original. Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
the network of webbing that goes under the seat cushion itself. I also have photos of original cars which show the assembled trampolines; the webbing straps are held together with what look like chrome-plated domed rivets.

Looking at the pictures at racing icons, this seems to correspond to upholstery people on the web talking about using pop rivets with washers. Given how tear-resistant I remember the pirelli webbing being, and the fact that the forces on the rivets are primarily in shear, I suspect this would work.

Last edited:

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Rivets are not the problem, it is holding in the pirelli webbing. I would suggest that pop rivets are not the way to go as it "squeezes" the pirelli webbing. Bifurcated rivets with a back up washer would probably be the original method employed..

However,
I made a continuous loop and stiched both ends together as I wanted it to last. It also provided two runs of webbing for a better support.

What about the end plates that Pirrelli supply.
I have used these about 10 years ago and the job is still going strong.

Jim

Attachments

• Pirelli Webbing_small.jpg
    Pirelli Webbing_small.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 374

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Rivets are not the problem, it is holding in the pirelli webbing.

Since Jim said "held together" I assumed he meant where two webbing pieces cross at right angles, hence the pop rivets; see photo below of an original.

detail07.jpg

For anchoring the ends there are several specifically-designed solutions: Google "pirelli webbing clips".

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I may have found the rivets. I think I found a source for the webbing. I will need the hooks. The size of the webbing in GT40s is 1.5" or 38mm.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Webbing is here, and rivets on the way courtesy of a forum member kind enough to part with his. Also hooks on the way. This might help me fill up an otherwise dull winter weekend. (well, I am going to N.O. to look at a car, but otherwise...)

Back