how to remove rivets

Hi all

This might sound like a stupid question but what's the best way to remove rivets? I know I can drill them out but if the rivet goes into the chassis then the stem of the rivet will remain in the chassis and will rattle around.

Is there a way to get the rivets out without pushing them through into the chassis?

Trev

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I know of no way to retrieve the end of the rivet in a blind situation.

But - depending upon how it was installed in the first place - there may not be a lot of cause for alarm.

Put a dab of RTV / Silicone on your rivet and install it. The RTV will cut down on any electrolytic reaction and it may also retain the end of the rivet off to one side when the rivet is summarily drilled out once the RTV has cured.

If nothing else - the little bit of RTV on the end of the rivet may also act as a partial cushion so as to not cause much noice if any while moving around inside the cavity.

Other options might include the introduction of a low expansion rate foam insulation into the cavity that rivets will be installed in. There are many such foams on the market today that are sold as a moisture barrier / caulk... Make certain that it is the stuff that is low expansion as the high expansion rate stuff is VERY strong and also not nearly as plyable as the low expansion foam caulks..

Have though about this a few times and my plan was to spray Waxoil into the box sections of the car and hopefully that will protect the inside of the metal and also stop the rivets from rattling by sticking into the waxoil.

just a thought !!

When the engines running in one of these I doubt you will hear the rivets rattling around in the chassis. If you can, you have the wrong engine!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
This might sound like a stupid question but what's the best way to remove rivets?

This is probably a fool's errand, but if any of it is steel and you had nothing better to do you could play around trying to fish it out with a small magnet.

There are some pretty cheap fiber-optic "bore scopes" (ProVision Inspection Tools for Diagnosis and Exploration) to which you could attach a tiny magnet (or even just something sticky for AL) and then go hunting.... :drunk:

Once rebuilt a Seven type clone with poor panneling. Drilled out all the rivets and then made a few 1/4" holes in each chassis tube. Poured some epoxy resin in the holes and rotated the chassis until there was no more "rattling" of the rivet pieces. Worked well, but the chassis only weighted around 70 pounds.

Well I am just thinking for the future as if I want to have the chassis painted or recoated etc how would I get the panels off. I guess the best idea might be to cut a hole at the end of one of the tubes and then tip the chassis up to force any loose rivets down and fish out with a magnet.

The hole could then be sealed or welded, chassis blasted and recoated I guess?

Trev

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Trevor

We have replaced all panels on cars for customers in the past.

The rivet heads are drilled off and the rivets are punched into the tubes, the panels are then removed and an opening is cut into the end of the tube to remove the rivets. You need to keep careful count to make sure they are all removed and non are left behind. You will hear them rattle.

The holes are then welded up and linished.

The chassis frame is then blasted and re coated.

Thanks

Andy

Trevor

We have replaced all panels on cars for customers in the past.

The rivet heads are drilled off and the rivets are punched into the tubes, the panels are then removed and an opening is cut into the end of the tube to remove the rivets. You need to keep careful count to make sure they are all removed and non are left behind. You will hear them rattle.

The holes are then welded up and linished.

The chassis frame is then blasted and re coated.

Thanks

Andy

Thanks for that Andy, nice to know you guys have done this before.

Trev

Drill the rivets out then spray heavy duty lanolin (lanotec) it ends up like a wax.
F####d if I would cut holes to fish them out.
Maybe Im getting lazy.

Jim

Back