Air con compresoor question

Hi all

Im doing a 2 stage air con install. First my aim is simply to get an engine mounted compressor fitted, then run the car for 6 months, then complete the air con installation over the winter.

i have the sanden type compressor fitted on the engine, and prior to the engine re-install i would like to fit a generator belt that would drive the compressor as well as the alternator. This is to simplify messing with it at a later stage. The compressor has no fluid or electrical connections whatsoever and would just run as a dummy unit
The question i have is, Does the driving of the compressor via the belt cause any problems?
Or does the compressor have to be gassed up to turn over and not cause any damage?

thanks!

I'm not an A/C tech, but I'm pretty certain that unless the compressor clutch is engaged you're not turning the unit over. Also Sanden's should have oil in them when new.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Jason

I would advise against running the compressor and alternator from the same belt. If you have the room add a double pulley to the crankshaft and run them seperately. Have a read of SteveB's post 170 paragraph 3. He found that you could not get the belt tight enough to stop it slipping.

Brian.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Its not that its not tight enough, its because there is not enough wrap around on the belt.

It can be done but you need an idler or two to get the wrap around the pulley.

Thanks

Andy

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
I'm not an A/C tech, but I'm pretty certain that unless the compressor clutch is engaged you're not turning the unit over. Also Sanden's should have oil in them when new.

As per Dave
If the compressor is not switched on the clutch will just freewheel and the compressor will not be turning therefore no possible damage.

Dimi

Back