Talbot Mirrorrs

Ian Clark

Supporter
Well I struggled with whether or not to put the mirrors on the fenders or doors. We had them on the fenders before on this car, put door mirrors on Chris' car #72 in BC and they looked great.

Those were composite mirrors with contourable bases, the Talbots weren't happy about going on the doors.

Angelo decided "on the doors" so that was it. I don't get out much, so drilling holes in a new paint job on a GT40 seemed like a lot of fun, I'm in.

The trick with the Talbots is to carefully recontour (fancy way of saying GRIND) the cast pedestal where it meets the mirror head to re-align the head to horizontal, then the mirror lense will sit at a near vertical position without looking like it's about to fall out or touch the body.

Fiddly but worth it.

Cheers Ian

Attachments

• Ang1075MirrorsP1.jpg
    Ang1075MirrorsP1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 330
  • Ang1075MirrorsP2.jpg
    Ang1075MirrorsP2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 255
  • Ang1075overviewP1.jpg
    Ang1075overviewP1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 293

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Paul,

It's about the same for coverage, requires more than just eye movement but the lens is closer so detail of "objects in the rear view mirror" are better. We use convex lenses on these, some like the convex, some don't but they do show everything from the rear wheel arch to a full lane on each side.

I pulled up a few pics of the mirrors that we put on Chris' car. Real cool and suits the look he was going for, ultra chic magnet! Hence the change from Silver to Candy Red with Gold stripes, got Best of Show first time out too!

Cheers

Attachments

• ChrisMirror2.jpg
    ChrisMirror2.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 234
  • ChrisDriversSideMirror.jpg
    ChrisDriversSideMirror.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 240
  • ChrisPassegerSideMirror.jpg
    ChrisPassegerSideMirror.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 235

Ian Clark

Supporter
A couple of pics of the pedestal mod after recontouring. You loose the alignment pin cast into the base so a bolt and nyloc was fitted. The head of the bolt was shaped to match the inner profile of the base (a wedge fit) and then epoxy encapsulated. Both the nyloc nut and original mountng bolt can still be loosened. Cheers

Attachments

• TalbotMirrorMod1.jpg
    TalbotMirrorMod1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 260
  • TalbotMirrorMod2.jpg
    TalbotMirrorMod2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 272
Back