Rivetting in tight areas

Hi all

I have a small strip section down the centre of my chassis between the 2 seating areas that is exposed. Tornado say I can either leave it like this or cover it over. I've decided the best option is to cover the gap to stop any dirt, stones etc getting in when the car is finished.

The problem I have is that the area is quite small and has 2 small rails to rivet into but my rivet gun is too wide to fit into the space and I could only really get a rivet in at a 20-30 degree angle.

january7.jpg

Does anyone have any tips or know of any special tools I can use to fix get into the space.

I've seen a wedge technique that might work here:
Homebuilders

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Trev

grind the head of your pulling tool until it fits the space. there is plenty of extra metal on the head to allow for some minor "mods"
i did this to mine, ground it down until it was "wafer thin", that said, it still works great, hundreds of pulls later.

or

buy a cherrymax gun with a offset head, the straight offset is about as small as you can possibly get

I decided to have a go at grinding down the nose of the rivet gun and it worked a treat:

january10.jpg

january11.jpg

Thanks for the advice everyone

Trev

We call that Red Neck Engineering down here. Got to LOVE it. Way to save the guy some bucks guys (and I subscribed for future reference for my build).

Back