Sliding Down Side Glass Window

Hi Guys
I have started on a project to install sliding down glass windows. This is as a result of changing my doors to Gullwing type - see separate thread.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><FONT color=black><FONT face=Verdana>With all the door locks removed space in the door is now more usable. The radius of the glass is 545mm and we have done the first
</o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
After Draft 1 – we found that we can extend the glass to the front – thus removing the new up right and only leave a small triangle to the front in order to have the glass still on sufficient channel – this “triangle” will then house the side mirror.<o:p></o:p>
As can be seen from Draft 1 – the window opens up some 80-90% of the opening – with “glass” spare at the bottom to fix the closing mechanism. <o:p></o:p>
On the body, it does mean that a nicely worked of cill will be required where the original windows screwed into at the bottom and about 2/3 up from the bottom at the back. In the front we anticipate that the side window moulding will blend in to fit accordingly.<o:p></o:p>
Will keep you posted on “Draft 2” and my search for a small window winding “scissor” action as it seems as if this will have the least space required below the window – a channel only with sliding rails on the side. Any suggestions?<o:p></o:p>
Then the glass – I have had discussions with a company who will be able to do 4mm toughened glass – in he odd shape required – seems as if they can do.<o:p></o:p>
Regards<o:p></o:p>
Heinrich<o:p></o:p>

Attachments

• SW side 1.jpg
    SW side 1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,028
  • SW Side closed.jpg
    SW Side closed.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,020
  • SW Inside.jpg
    SW Inside.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,029
  • SW inside 1.jpg
    SW inside 1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 928
looks nice...but I don't see much room for the doorhandle system...
is it possible to make the biggest part fixed so you can use lightweight "plastic" glass, and the a little winddown window within it...say if you want to use that doorhandle then the Delorean way...and if its possible the Mclaren F1 way...the window in a window so you only need little space, but enough to stick your hand out etc.

ofcorse you can use a see through H profile instead of that black me thinks.

07Ontario-6.jpg

38_1205621658.jpg

or which can look better but could intefair with the doorhandle? the Mc F1 way type

3277407577_5ce6fffcac.jpg

nice project.

by the way, I also can remember seeing a mk1 GT40 replica with other sort side windows, a bit in shape as yours with a seperate triangel.

Heinrich,
You could always use a body mounted mirror instead of using the glass. Many people use the Mini mirrors; I personally will be using a Crossfire mirror.

Brett

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
by the way, I also can remember seeing a mk1 GT40 replica with other sort side windows, a bit in shape as yours with a seperate triangel.

Didn't the MKIII (the factory "street" model) have a "wind wing" type triangular window at the front of the door opening, ala the factory Fords from the 60's?

Take a look at a Ford GT....similar to the MKIII.

Cheers from Doug!!

Last edited:
Keep up the good work, Heinrich. I think the largest possible wind-down window is great for people wanting a usable road car without requiring super authenticity. What aur you using for the guide channels? Presumably you have rolled these yourself to the same radius.

Hi Guys

OK, so on draft 2 with a more full size window. Template rolled and working. Confirmed with glass supplier that they can curve glass to shape in 4mm toughened glass - street legal.

The side rails are rolled ali at this stage but will mill decent slides and front pillar from solid ali and also use as mount for front mirror. Found a Mrecedes winding mechanism that I will be testing and give feedback.

Looked at Mini and Crossfire mirrors, think both can work, but thinking of going the M3 BMW which has the two vertical mounts which one should be able to adapt.... but first things first, need to get the window (or ali template) working first. Then find suitable rubbers to seal etc - but many new cars Merc inclued have good rubbers and will adapt.

Herewith pic's of draft 2

Attachments

• SW2 - Closed.jpg
    SW2 - Closed.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 850
  • SW2 - Side Open.jpg
    SW2 - Side Open.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 814
  • SW2 - Inside  Open.jpg
    SW2 - Inside Open.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 781
  • SW2 - Inside Closed.jpg
    SW2 - Inside Closed.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 721
  • SW2 - Back view.jpg
    SW2 - Back view.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 797
Heinrich,
Also consider the Z3 MCoupe Mirror, as with the Crossfire and the MIni, they are direct body mount so no modification needed.

The only problem here in the UK is that BMW only used to sell you M parts if you have a VIN of a M car (don't know if that is still the case). I have one new coupe mirror and it matched the body lines well, but never found another one, so ended up selling it; hence the crossfire option.

Brett

Heinrich,

The biggest problem I found when I was doing a similar thing with my Mk1 window aperture was the fact that I couldn't find a mechanism with a low enough footprint. It is still do-able, but you may well have to sacrifice some of the drop down height to allow for the mechanism.

The best type that I could find was electric winders like this:-

images

Not the scissor type, as these took up too much space at the base of the door. With the type shown above, there is a chance that the motor can be mounted to the front of the door, out of the way of the window.

Cheers,

Graham

My Lotus esprit (1977 ) has stock power windows. I think the mechanism is out of a camaro ( 70s ) My opening is fairly small and they work fine.I think they would work in a 40 as well. I was thinking of power windows for my ( yet to buy ) GT40. Nice to see someone is already "on it "

IT WORKS !:thumbsup:

So after searching, found electric scissor mechanism from a Toyota Yaris and mounted them on a "float" mount to accomodate the curve of the "glass" - 545mm radius. The motor mount plate is bolted down on the bottom which can rock marginally to accommodate the movement. A top mount / guide pin has been done so as to limit / assist with the torque of the motor. This can be seen on the one pic.

The travel limits on the mechanism have not been set yet - physical stops on the mechanisms and easy to adjust. Will be done with final glass !

Touch of power and WE HAVE SLIDING DOWN WINDOWS ! Yes, still a lot of work but the principle works and the practical template / mock up proves it.

Now it is back to the detail planning of machining decent slides, front pillar etc. The power supply will be via contact pins - thus only two wires /contacts. The switches will be mounted somewhere.......:idea:

Space is limited bewteen the door skin and the glass but as a result of the gullwing type door, there are no door handles in the way, but i am sure it can be done on a normal door if one is prepared to go with solinoid remote locks ! (For the purists - can leave dummy door handle.:laugh:)

What an exciting project to see the window work !

Attachments

• SW2- Elc work.jpg
    SW2- Elc work.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 898
  • SW2 - inside.jpg
    SW2 - inside.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 803
  • SW2 - Motor.jpg
    SW2 - Motor.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 864
  • SW2 - inside motor.jpg
    SW2 - inside motor.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 892
  • SW2 - Inside mount.jpg
    SW2 - Inside mount.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 844
Heinrich,
Your work looks great. I would make the suggestion that you make sure you leave room for some Dynapad or similar insulation. Since you ar using the gull wing configuration it might not matter(sound wise) as there will be no door slamming. What will make a difference is the noise inside the car, and you need to kill as much as possible. Those door pockets will help tremendously, even if you don't allow for pockets. Face every external surface with something like Dynapad. I am even using Dynamat and Dynapad on some surfaces to try and keep the heat out as well. Keep up the great work.

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great work Heinrich!

I'm curious if your country/state requires any Anti-Intrusion beam in the door.. I've added them to mine but looking intensely at the work you've done here to see how it could be leveraged in a conventional GT40 door..

Hi Guys

Slow progress on the sliding windows... waiting for the curved glass to arrive ... promised this Friday - order 5 per side... just in case !

Meanwhile I have found some window rubber channels from a VW Jetta which will work great and have a great moulded finish. All the mechanism is ready to go. Rolling the slightly larger channel (test channel was 8mm wide) is a bit of a challenge but should have that sorted soon.

Still need to plan and test the front channel as it will have to be able to be removed in order to get the glass in from the top. The back scraper will be on a aliminium strip that will slide towards the window, closing the slot which will need to be about 40mm wide, once again to get the glass with its bottom channel in.

The front channel will also double up to maybe take the side mirror, but may also revert to mounting the mirror on the body and then blank off the small triangle. Will see once we have the glass and it working. The electric motor is fast and may have to slow it down with a resistor, will also have mechanical stops in place.

There will be space between the glass and the door skin to get some Dynamat in... on the shopping list.

Regards
Heinrich

Hi

Some time since my last post, too many things happening, moving hinge point of front end, prepping the rear for paint work and then still the gullwing doors.

The good news, I received my curved glass and it look and fits great. Now rolling the final channels and starting the process of fitment and body contouring.

Will keep you posted.

Heinrich

Hi Guys

Well last night we fitted the glass into the door with some temp channels and the rubbers in. The glass really looks good and the opening one gets is great.

Lot of work to follow to get channels fitted and some body contouring.

Here some pics with glass up and down...

Heinrich

Attachments

• Glass in 2.jpg
    Glass in 2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,141
  • Glass in 3.jpg
    Glass in 3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 896
  • Glass in 4.jpg
    Glass in 4.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 862
Back