Oil pressure, oil temperature and water temperature sender units question?

Another question to those that have done all this before:

I'm fitting Smiths mechanical OPG, OTG and WTG sender units to a 302.

I'm very short of space re the oil pressure sender - It needs to fit in between and behind the air con compressor and the oil filter, together with an oil pressure warning light - Almost impossible?

Ditto the oil temperature and water temperature senders.

I have a sandwich plate and oil cooler fitted - Wondered about fitting an adaptor to take the oil temperature sender, into one of the hoses?

Could I fit something similar into one of the coolant hoses?

Thanks in advance!

Incidentially, to all those who have helped me with this winter rebuild - If I haven't thanked you so far, THANKS VERY MUCH - I would be lost without the knowlege on the forum.

Cheers,

Geoff.

I'm very short of space re the oil pressure sender - It needs to fit in between and behind the air con compressor and the oil filter, together with an oil pressure warning light - Almost impossible?

Ditto the oil temperature and water temperature senders.

I have taken a -4 hose from the block for my pressure sender and also warning light. I have the water sender in the intake manifold and will be putting the oil temp in the sump.

Brett

Possible solutions:
the track car has AN fittings w/ provision for temp senders - see www.pegasusautoracing.com part #1069-10AN WARNING: you will need short temp senders to work in these. (try Westach in Sonoma, Ca) Pegasus also sells in-line temp gauge adapters for coolant hoses.

Aeroquip makes AN fittings w/ these provisions also - see Summit racing #AER-FBM2274

Good luck Geoff!

David

My setup is the same as Bretts - out of the block on braided hose to a 'T' with oil pressure and light switch of it. Your water temp sender should be in the manifold just in front of the thermostat.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Mechanical gauges don't usually have senders, unless I've missed something. Anyway, FWIW, we used short AN braided hose to remote-mounted sender for oil pressure, and mounted the sender itself on a bracket to the chassis. Pegasus Racing has those parts, as noted. You might also be able to get some room back by remote-mounting the oil filter, which gives you some additional places to put things like an oil temp sender. Mine is back on the left side of the car, lateral to the transaxle, on a mount welded in by Safir, with 10An braided lines running forward to the original oil filter location.

Thanks for all your replies.

Fitted the braided hose with remote tee piece as suggested.

Started the engine last night after 18 months - Sounded great, and no oil leaks. Had to put it on U-Tube!

Oil pressure was 40psi when idling @ 850/900rpm, and 45psi @ 2,000rpm, engine hot.

Is this OK?

Cheers,

Geoff.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Most SBF run a mininum of about 20-30PSI at idle and a maximum of about 70-80 PSI at full song (relief valve usually opens @ about 70-80PSI). Your 40-45 seams OK to me. When you get it up to above 3500-4000 RPM you should be about 55-60 ish.

Back