Soft Feel Paint for Interiors

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Found this on another thread but thought I would call it out here to see if anyone has any practical experience with it:

Alsa Corp | Soft Feeling Paint

I'm not finding much in the way of current information on the product or the company...

I'd do the Flocking thing except for a bad experience with it a lot of years ago (25+).. Started shedding and was just a general mess that was not very easy to clear up...

Other products or thoughts are welcome as well!

I'd like to know about others experience as well.

My wife's Porsche and my VW both have 'soft-touch' paint, and it is beginning to wear off after moderate use.

Would be nice to fix the cars, and maybe be able to use it in the SLC build.

Ian Clark

Supporter
At least you're honest, most of us have had a bad experience flocking around...

We did some flocking last year and it was very satisfying, a bit messy but that's the price of fun I suppose! It was black on a dash pad, console and trim pieces, worked great however not suitable for constant abrasion like armrests etc.

Thanks for the link re Soft Feel Paint, have to try that out to, I'll report back if it's more fun than flocking.

Randy, flocking will work very well if properly done. Prep the substrate, use the right adhesive and you can DIY without problems. Most reports of shedding are caused by poor prep/application. Try www.donjer.com/products.htm for instructions. I've used this many times with great success. Made some FRP substrate test panels and used thier cheapo sample kit, put it through weather/sun, etc. for two years. No shedding at all. Slight discoloration from constant exposure to rain & Florida sun. If spraying the adhesive, reduce almost 50% with mineral spirits, wait 5 minutes and apply the flocking material.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
From Allen's build thread. Looks great!

IMGP1335.jpg

More than likely I will end up using the Alsa (paint) on my dash, and possibly on the center console.

Randy, go to the very bottom of the page. The reduced prices and film sizes are listed.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Oh I see what the problem was now... The discounted price is on the wrapping film alone - not the paint.. Oh well... Thank you!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the heads up Alan. The films are interesting, but I have no clue how to install this stuff. They say on their website that it is DIY but offer no assistance in the form of instructions, videos, etc on their website that I can find.
Do you need to glue this down? :huh:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the heads up Alan. The films are interesting, but I have no clue how to install this stuff. They say on their website that it is DIY but offer no assistance in the form of instructions, videos, etc on their website that I can find.
Do you need to glue this down? :huh:

I believe the installation technique is the same as for any vinyl film as used in "wrapping" cars, and there are quite a few videos on youtube on how to do that (I've never done it, but will shortly when I get my Mk II graphics kit from Chris Martino at Raceline Digital). The stuff is adhesive backed and extremely stretchy. especially when heated, although heating also causes it to shrink which is convenient.

Here's a British marketing video for one of 3Ms films [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC54fjPTxZU[/ame]

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for posting that... It looks like maybe the same type of application as the clear-bra material.. I might try it, but would have to buy extra material and practice on something other than the GT...

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for posting that... It looks like maybe the same type of application as the clear-bra material.. I might try it, but would have to buy extra material and practice on something other than the GT...

That's for sure. I'm interested in the soft-touch stuff in part because I suspect it's more tolerant of bad technique, etc. I'm toying with using it on my door interiors or maybe the sponson thresholds.

The thing I like about the shiny stuff for external use is if you get sick of it you just pull it off so you can experiment. And it can get dinged without hurting the underlying paint (i.e. like the clear bra application).

That's for sure. I'm interested in the soft-touch stuff in part because I suspect it's more tolerant of bad technique, etc. I'm toying with using it on my door interiors or maybe the sponson thresholds.

The thing I like about the shiny stuff for external use is if you get sick of it you just pull it off so you can experiment. And it can get dinged without hurting the underlying paint (i.e. like the clear bra application).

I was contemplating using the 3M Di-Noc film for my sponsons, both because it will cover up any (minor) mistakes as well as give protection to the high wear area. Plus easy to replace.

Back