Best finish for dashboard painting?

Hi,

I've now reached the stage of painting the dash.

I've had the dash painted, wanting to have the original satin black finish.

However, the end result has a fairly high gloss finish.

Has anybody got any experience or ideas?

Hoping somebody can help.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Geoff, you sure you want it painted? Some leather in the cabin adds a nice warm touch. Your local auto upholsterer can probably do it in leather for a reasonable cost. Just a suggestion.

If the dash is already painted (and paid for) James solution is a good one. Rubbing compound to acheive a semi gloss finish.

Geoff,
There is a flat clear that will give the dull(less shiny) finish you are looking for. I did this with my side window sils and the area under the front light covers to cut down on the reflections.
gt4090.jpg

The area under the light covers will cause star formations with all the light bouncing off all the curved surfaces.

Bill

The best paint I've used for trim work, is made by SEM. I think this paint is made in North Carolina. They make all sorts of specialty paints from chip guard, vynil paint, carpet paint and all types of paints too many to mention. I especially like their "bumper coater black" for the job you want to do. There bumper coater paints are flexible and stick to everything from dashboards,vynil bumpers to wiper arms. I use it everywhere one needs a medium black. It comes in spray bombs as well as quarts. I find there spray cans to work as well as a batch of paint mixed in a gun and are of o.e.m. quality. This really saves a lot of time when one has to do those little trim jobs. Ranger Jim

Goeff:
The stuff I liked the best was a flat finish on the dash with a coating called "Soft touch clear coat".
It feels like velvet and is dead flat, no reflection.
I think if you google it it will come up.
Cheers
Phil

SEM does make some good quality coatings and they do make an elastomeric textured coating for dashes, and other glass/plastic parts. It's sold under the name "Textured Coating", part # 39853. I have a can of it (~$20) but I have not reached the dash finish stage yet.

The gentleman at the paint shop stated it gives the dash a black leather appearance.

Tom

The Plastidip is a good choice. It can be a flat finish or a slightly clear coated finish. If you don't like the color or the finish(textured) then peel it off and try again. Lots of good videos on Utube.

Bill

Back