Aluminium rivets ok to anodise?

Hi all

After months of trying to get some black sealed rivets it seems the only option left is to buy some standard silver rivets and get them coloured myself.

My current rivets are aluminium with steel shanks but these can't be anodised because of the steel shank. If I were to buy aluminium rivets with aluminium shanks then can the the whole rivet can be anodised?

Also do you know if the shank material makes any difference to the rivet and will aluminium/aluminium rivets be ok for my car?

Thanks

Trev

Hi Trev. Frost do a home anodising kit. That might be worth a try for not too many beer tokens :thumbsup: plus any other bits of alloy you want to anodise you can do yourself. Pete.

Did you call all of the retailers that were posted in the links from the other thread? I am sure that they want you to order enough to build two cars but I am sure that some one in here is looking for the same thing and might split the bill with you.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Trevor - Gesipa helped me no end with black aluminium rivets. I asked for 300 which was way below any minimum order level and they came as a sample, free gratis.
GESIPA
this is their email contact page.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Trev,

A few years ago I was looking for anodized rivets in purple and found what I needed at a custom\performance boat company local here. Try that, they seem to do alot of stuff with aluminum rivets.

Did you call all of the retailers that were posted in the links from the other thread? I am sure that they want you to order enough to build two cars but I am sure that some one in here is looking for the same thing and might split the bill with you.

Bralo UK sell sealed black rivets at the exact size and spec i need (4mmx10mm). However I need 1,000 and they want a minimum order of 60,000. So at £22 per thousand that's a lot of money and cars to build

Trev

Trevor - Gesipa helped me no end with black aluminium rivets. I asked for 300 which was way below any minimum order level and they came as a sample, free gratis.
GESIPA
this is their email contact page.

Hi David, thanks for the link. I couldn't get the contact page to work so i've emailed Gesipa UK to see what they say.

Trev

So just to clarify the reason I am looking at having my own rivets anodised is because the Bralo UK won't do me a smaller order and I can't find any other manufacturer that can supply painted/anodised sealed rivets. Normal rivets are easy to find but the sealed rivets seem to be like gold dust.

I have found one company called Spalding fasteners that supply sealed rivets which is my last resort. They sent me some samples which were ok but when I tested a couple some of the paint scratched of the head of the rivet so seems a bit pointless installing black rivets that end up half silver once installed.

black%20sealed%20pop%20rivet.jpg

I've just emailed Gesipa and a Gesipa supplier so hopefully they will be able to help but otherwise I think buying all aluminium rivets and taking them to be anodised myself seems to be the only other option.

Unless I can get 59 people to buy 1,000 rivets and do a group buy which is highly unlikely

Hi Trevor,
in the grand scheme of the build if you scratch the rivet heads, they can be touched up with a permanent marker pen. Based on what you've found I'd use normal black rivets and put them in with a blob of silicone sealer

Regards,
Andy

Hi Trevor

Try Wrights Auto Supplies tel 02476 470377, i got some black anodised rivets off them at the exeter kit car show last oct they were 5/32 x 1/2 and iam sure they had other sizes on the stand, in packs of 8, Andy

Hi Trevor

Try Wrights Auto Supplies tel 02476 470377, i got some black anodised rivets off them at the exeter kit car show last oct they were 5/32 x 1/2 and iam sure they had other sizes on the stand, in packs of 8, Andy

Just checked the website and it seems like they only have standard rivets, not sealed ones but I'll give them a call.

Trev

Back