Side window opening flaps

Hi All,

I've just fitted my first door window - Very nerve wracking!

I now need to drill holes in the centre of the window (!) to mount the hinges and latch for the opening flaps.

I've drawn every pattern of holes possible to get everything to line up.

I'm still terrified of drilling the first hole in the wrong place!

Has anybody got any ideas?

Short of drilling it for me!!!

Hoping to hear from you all.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I'm still terrified of drilling the first hole in the wrong place!

I know the feeling well. Actually it's the 2nd through Nth holes that always cause me grief. The only idea i've got is to tape (or something) the bezel in place and "drill through" it as a template.

The psychological trick I use in this situation is to know what it would cost to start over with a whole new window. Then I tell myself "OK, at worst this will cost you $X to start over".

And then there's Valium....:drunk:

Geoff,

On the assumption the windows are acrylic (perspex), may I pass on my experience as a sign fabricator.

1. Dosn't seem to matter how sharp the drill is, just make sure that the material is held down HARD on the backing material as the drill comes out the bottom of the hole.

2. As far as possible, drill the hole to the finished size. Avoid drilling 'pilot' holes and then enlarging.

Clive

Hi Alan and Clive,

Thanks for your replies.

I managed to drill the window mounting holes with a 3mm drill, and then open out the holes to 4mm and then countersink the holes for ss screws.

To my horror I split the bottom rear corner of the window with the 3mm drill, but have managed to superglue the peices together, and with a bit of tidying up, is should look okay - but you should have heard the language!

My concern with drilling for the hinges and latch for the flaps is drilling the holes in the correct place at the first attempt.

Everybody on the forum must have done this, and I'm just looking for the best way to plan this.

Perhaps I should make a mock up, to get the hingle angles and positioning correct?

Still looking for ideas.

Cheers, Geoff.

Geoff

I picked a few scrap pieces of perspex out of the waste bin from the plastic supplier to experiment with.

I tried the fast drill method versus slow and steady. Then I used a hole saw. I even tried using a small saw. The practice and straight cutting prepared me for the final cut, which turned out great.

Just go slow as the perspex will crack when you get near an edge - as your found out.

Under the heads of the bolts that I used, I placed a small rubber washer and pulled the bolts tight until I felt the rubber compact slightly. This tops rattles and bolts contacting the perspex.

Good luck.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Geoff,

If the concern is the holes drifting when you are drilling them, you can reduce the chances by making a drilling template from .125" aluminum and clamping it with some hardwood and the plastic in between.

You pre-drill the aluminium in a drill press (suitably clamped) and verify the fit by test-installing your hardware to it. Once happy, clamp and drill the final parts (one template flipped will do both windows). The aluminium will act as a guide and almost eliminate drift while the hardwood will prevent break-through cracking you experienced previously. As Clive noted, it is the back support (where the drill bit exits the plastic being drilled) that is critical (I also run a signage fabrication shop). Oh, and using a small amount of oil or water when drilling will help. Go slow and you'll be fine.

Mark

Mark

Sorry yes, I should have mentioned to Geoff that I place a masking tape - adhesive paper - to the perspex and mark each bolt/screw hole. This tops the drill drift and splintering.

The drill press is even better.....

Back