Window black boarder width

Hi,

What sort of width are the painted black boarders on the perimeters of the windows and light covers.

Thanks

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Simply out of laziness, I use 3/4" wide masking tape then mask my paint tape to it. Remove the 3/4" and viola...right or wrong it works for me.

Nick

I used a 10mmx1mm black foam neoprene tape.
Just as a precaution I would check the compatibility of the paint with the type of window plastic material. Some have a reaction to some paints that is like a surface stress cracking that can go deeper near edges. I had this problem with side windows that had been supplied by GTD when they were still in business, the type of solvent in the paint may be the cause

Steve

Nick,
Take a look at Scott's build log http://www.gt40s.com/forum/233304-post219.html, he gave a good description of the process.
Ian

Ian

Thanks for your help.

Nick

I used a 10mmx1mm black foam neoprene tape.
Just as a precaution I would check the compatibility of the paint with the type of window plastic material. Some have a reaction to some paints that is like a surface stress cracking that can go deeper near edges. I had this problem with side windows that had been supplied by GTD when they were still in business, the type of solvent in the paint may be the cause

Steve

Steve,

Thanks as well. I don't suppose you can remember where you got your neoprene tape from.

Nick, I just finished this project last week. My first recommendation is to use pinstriping tape to set the border at the desired width. You could use 3/4" tape to line the border but I found the corners hard to manage due to the reluctance of the 3/4" tape to conform to the angles I desired. It went very easy using the pinstiping tape. After that the link above is very similar. I used Krylon Fusion flat black which is specifically made for plastic applications. 5 coats and it appears gloss black when looked from the front. I was quite chuffed with the outcome. Good Luck.

Back