Painting Avon CR6ZZ

Hi all

It seems that most people on here favour the Avon CR6ZZ tyres for both road and track day use and to retain that vintage look. I am hoping to get a set of these for my replica which I plan to run with 15" 6 spoke BRM wheels. I want to paint the tyres to get the Goodyear billboard style lettering and was wondering the best way to do this.

I saw this thread on some stencils available but am I right in thinking that the older style goodyear tyres didn't have the vertical gaps in the letters
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/vendor-manufacturer-announcements/26944-billboard-tire-stencils.html

Alan mann GT40 with Goodyear billboard tyres (Solid white text)
2-left-rear-picture-w800-h800.jpg

Raceline digital stencils (vertical gaps in o's and d etc)
goodyearstencillrg.gif

Can anyone tell me what the period correct type style is?

Thanks

Also I found a website on a MDA mk2 build where the guy had painted his Avon tyres. Looks like he did an amazing job. It even looks like the letters are raised slightly (notice the detail on the winged boot).
1966goodyear.jpg

Here is another example a painted tyre I found on a cobra. The owner wrote that he used a fabric pencil to colour the lettering.
Kirkham_Cobra_-_Goodyear_Billboards.JPG

Can anyone recommend the best way to achieve this very clean and textured look?

Trev

Trev;
I am using avons and I they were painted when I received them. The job is a bit sloppy, and I am sure I could remove the original paint and neaten them up but I think I will leave them as original with all the factory supplied "blemishes".
Here is a photo of the Avons and some Goodyears that I also took off my wheels.
Great build, keep up the good work.
Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• PICT0120.JPG
    PICT0120.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 6,469
  • PICT0024.JPG
    PICT0024.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 2,590
Trev;
I am using avons and I they were painted when I received them. The job is a bit sloppy, and I am sure I could remove the original paint and neaten them up but I think I will leave them as original with all the factory supplied "blemishes".
Here is a photo of the Avons and some Goodyears that I also took off my wheels.
Great build, keep up the good work.
Cheers
Phil

Phil those Goodyears look awesome, worn and showing battle scares, love it. Can you tell me what these goodyear's are and are the suitable for road use?

Trev

Phil those Goodyears look awesome, worn and showing battle scares, love it. Can you tell me what these goodyear's are and are the suitable for road use?

Trev

Most likely not approved for road use. I once got to see bleustreaks not mounted. The tire is like paper, you can fold them. They are just stable by the air. I guess ver prone to damages in road use. Go with the AVON CR6 ZZand paint them AVON.

TOM

Trev,
Those tires came off a 1987 March chassis with a Cosworth DXF I believe. I got the wheels in a deal and had to dismount and return the tires.
Eglitom is correct about the tires being really thin walled and we had to be particularly careful removing them.
I was told that those particular Goodyears with the yellow lettering were only sold to the race teams
I don't have the sizes of the Avons mounted on the wheels in my memory, but I could look at the car tomorrow and give them to you if you need that info.
I am using 15" wheels as I like that look. fronts are 10" width, rears are 14" width, and everything fits pretty well.
I agree with the other guys, go for the Avons.
Cheers
Phil

Sounds like Avons it is Phil. Don't worry about the sizes as I you've got the wider wheels to fit the flared arches on your car so they will be different.

Thanks for the info and the pictures though, very useful

Trev

Going back to my original question, does anyone know if the lettering for the goodyear stencils that raceline digital sell is period correct?

Trev

Like these?

Keep in mind that the factory stencils used were nothing more than a ready made, lay it on the tire and shoot a quick flash of paint. The gaps allowed for a one-piece stencil, take that gap out and you would have had to lay individual letters 'O', 'A' and 'R' as they have inner elements.

Chris

Attachments

• goodyear1.jpg
    goodyear1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,102
Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I recently got some new Avons................

I have a set of Avon stencils, what type of paint should I use?

I have been sending folks to Ranger but I'm not a tire paint expert. One would think that a paint made for rubber applications would need some kine of 'flex' agent to deal with the dynamics of tire expansion, heat, cold etc.

There is a thread on one of the cobra forums of a detailed, step-by-step how to use the stencil / apply the paint that I will dig up and post as it was very detailed.

Chris

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Back in the 1980's I used tippex to do some Dunlop Tyres on my Capri. Took about 2 bottles for 4 Tyres.

Needed painted over after about a year of daily use.

Ian

I am reviving this old thread as there are new developments in the Tire lettering arena. Happened to stumble upon this on this video on one of the subscribed sites I have on Utube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwYl-5sqkUk&feature=youtu.be
The company Tread Ware Letters Tred Wear Letters - Raised White Letter CUSTOM TIRES has a process of putting letters on that are glued on. They have the Bill Board letters for the Hoosier, Goodyear, and Avon tires. Billboard Tire Letter Kit - TredWear
Cost is around $29-$34 per set. Here is one of their installation videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hxmjquHn6A
This is a new patented process of improving Bill Board letters.

Bill

Back