Messed up my windows replace or not replace that is the question

Due to my usual incompetence I cocked up my windows slightly. The problem is I have the nutcerts in place so if I replaced the windows how would I drill the new holes in the windows to line up accurately with the nutcerts already in the window frame

Nick,
Use the old window as a pattern for the new window? (just lay it on top and mark the previous holes?) Hard to tell without pics. Scott

Nick,
Use the old window as a pattern for the new window? (just lay it on top and mark the previous holes?) Hard to tell without pics. Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the reply, did think about this but would that method be accurate enough.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
A technique I've used for transferring fastener hole locations to make brackets might work: for each hole you want to transfer you take a screw for that hole, cut off the head, and grind where the head was to a sharp point. Usually I do this by chucking the headless screw into a drill and then spinning it while grinding on a bench grinder. Done carefully this forces the point to be on the centerline of the screw, which is important.

Then you screw that with your fingers into the hole so it is just proud of the surface. Then you take your new window, position it where you want it and *very* carefully lay it down on all the little sharp points. Without moving it you go around and tap it in order to get the sharp points to make an impression in the new window.

Needless to say there are lots of ways for this to go wrong, like letting the window move and thus scratching it, or getting multiple inconsistent impressions, or tapping too hard and pushing one of the fasteners or nutserts through, or not being able to unscrew one of the headless pointed fasteners. To mitigate some of that you could tape the window in position by only it's top edge, and then fold it up onto the roof while inserting the pointed screws. IAE I'm sure it would be much easier with a friend or two to help.

A variant would be to use a piece of cardboard to pick up the impression of the points, and then use that as a template on the windows. That prevents you from ruining the window while transferring the hole locations

Going back to Scott's suggestion: I was worried about trying to use the old window as a template because it's not flat. However, if your windows are like my SPF's windows (rather flexible) if you stack the windows and then flatten them (eg a friend pushing down a towel-covered board smaller than the window) I think you could get accurate results using the old windows as a template.

Last edited:

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
FWIW, Here's another method I use just cuz i'm so lazy and impatient but it's workedon two out two sets of side windows I've replaced (with nutcerts). Come to think of it, I have replaced all my plexi at least once.

Before you paint a border on the plexi you can obviously see through to the nutcerts beneath. Line up you plexi in the correct position and with a marker pin simply 'dot' mark right over the nutcert. Be as acurrate as you can. Once you have drilled the two holes securely screw the plexi to the door. Now 'dot' the remaining holes. Remove the plexi. I start the holes off with a small drill bit, all around first, then mount the plexi to see if alignment is correct. This is the time to correct any holes that are off center by ovaling it so the centerline moves for the next step up in drill bit size.

It certainly won't be as accurate as ALAN'S method but close enough. If the holes are misaligned it's ok to oval or enlarge the hole a bit, you won't see it because the head of the bolt will cover it.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
It certainly won't be as accurate as ALAN'S method but close enough. If the holes are misaligned it's ok to oval or enlarge the hole a bit, you won't see it because the head of the bolt will cover it.

Tim's right. I've only used the "sharpened fastener" bit with like 3 or 4 bolts. Doing that with ~20 tiny screws is kinda crazy. In end it's the countersinking that matters, and you can correct that with the window in place.

Back