Side Stripe thoughts

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
I've noticed a number of different configurations on orig/replica cars from FORD, to FORD GT to FORD GT40, most can be confirmed by looking at photos of original cars from the 60's. What I would like to know is the thinking behind putting the FORD at the rear wheel rather than up front. So please chime in with how you have your car, and why?

Thanks so much.
Michael

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Michael,

I have seen both from and rear "FORD", also "MURCURY".

The early prototyps had the Ford in the front. I think most ways are "correct", but I always though the FORD at the front looked the best. Only my opinion.

I found one of the model kit companies of the 60's did a box art with the "Ford" at the rear wheel. It was on a Mk 1 with wire wheels, blue top of nose, white body with thin tri-stripe over the top. This always seemed odd to me after seeing all the Ford pro-mo films and adds with the "Ford" at the front. Also some of the early Fiber-Fab photos show the side stripe with the "Ford" at the rear. Always looked "backwords" to me, as all the other Ford side stripes lettering were located at the front on the rest of the car makes.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Perhaps someone had 2 sets of stickers made up identical.

On one side the Ford would be at the front and the other the Ford would be at the rear

Ian

P1017 (light blue color) has them at the rear, but I don't have a photo right now. Another thing to consider is the font. Some letters were nearly as wide as they were tall and others were "skinny".

Ron McCall

Supporter
Here you go.

Attachments

• OLD pictures and video 10414.jpg
    OLD pictures and video 10414.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 527
  • OLD pictures and video 12830.jpg
    OLD pictures and video 12830.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 517
  • OLD pictures and video 12475.JPG
    OLD pictures and video 12475.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 429
  • OLD pictures and video 12826.jpg
    OLD pictures and video 12826.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 494

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Here you go.

Pantera,
My RCR is in the shop as we speak, it is going from black to blue, inspired by the look of your car. I will be using the narrow stripe over the car (painted) and the FORD stripe (FORD at front and painted) on the rocker panels. It was a toss up between the Ford Windveil blue and Linden Green.

The blue won.

My remaining question is how much of the door gets painted? I have seen interior shots of cars that show the full inside door painted and some with only the interior window opening. Thoughts?

Regards,
Michael

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
Raceline Digital has pictures of all the GT 40 race cars. They sell the strip kits and decals.

As I looked at the top and side view of each race car I noticed the rocker panels are very different for each car.
Great pictures of each race car and it's racing number and vin.
If you click on the picture it will show you the side and top view of that car.
Dwight

GT40 Mk I Kits : Raceline Digital, Do More for Less

Back