MKI Body Shell Variations

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Most makers make various claims as to the provenance of their body shell bucks so does anyone know which ones are the true splashes from original pieces ?

I have heard P-XXXY, to P-YZZZ etc mentioned by some makers, so which ones are accurate renditions in the reader's opinion ?.

Are there really over twenty differences in the profiles between the GTD and an original GT40 MKI body shell ?. If so can someone please elucidate.
:gossip:

Last edited:
James, on the GTD differences, one is the MarkIII type fender top rear bend down to the front top of the door. This should be a squared off affair unlike the round curve on the GTD. Another is there should be no body bead that extends over the door going forward from the rear section. Another is that the lines on the doors leading into the side vents on the rear section should be parallel and they are slightly spread on the GTD.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Mark,
Thanks for a response to this. In hindsight, I should have expected none.
I am interested now because I am in the market for another new front and narrow tail.

It might be just me but the GTD shell appears to be somewhat bloated, and the original shell has the appearance of having a flatter door skin giving the car a narrower mid-section.

I did read in the SPF section recently, that this particular car has a different wheel arch profile.

The front inner air cooling ducts are also missing on most of the kit cars but these are easily retrofitted.

James, on the GTD differences, one is the MarkIII type fender top rear bend down to the front top of the door. This should be a squared off affair unlike the round curve on the GTD.

***********Another is there should be no body bead that extends over the door going forward from the rear section************

Another is that the lines on the doors leading into the side vents on the rear section should be parallel and they are slightly spread on the GTD.

This one has me somewhat confused, as when looking at the Shelby GT40 book with photos by Friedman that line does extend forward onto the doors of the first cars supplied to Shelby. It then appears to 'soften' in later car photos & when the proper MK11's arrive its barely visible.

One item that I was told is a sure fire check is the A pillar & the matching front door glass pillar should also be parallel, only been told that though, not sure that its correct...

Door inner skin should have three ribs to stiffen bottom of that horizontal area..

Amusing thing is I have a more or less complete set of molds that have some features, but not others... the roof spider for instance has the markings of the spot welds, but then it could be a copy of a copy, who knows.....

Wheel arch's, its obvious from that Shelby Photo album that considerable mod's were done in this area at Shelby due to the swap from wire to magnesium wheels & different tire profiles, the rear clip also appears to have gone thru some major profile changes & internal ducting etc.

Back