Avenger GT40 door hinges, What are they from?

Hey guys, I just picked up an Avenger GT40 that was built back in the day but the person I bought if from wanted to put lambo door hinges on it so he threw away the stock door hinges, Im just wondering if anybody knows what the stock hinges originally came off of.

Thanks, Tom

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Tom,

Welcome to GT40s.com...

Wasn't the donor vehicle for the Avenger to be a VW Beetle? Did you check into those hinges? Perhaps they would fit..

The Avenger is an early model based on the VW chassis, I can tell just by looking that bug hinges are quite differant than what needs to be there.
When you say full size Ford hinges, are you talking about mid 60s Ford like Falcon or Fairlane possibly.
Thanks for your help guys, Ill try to post pics soon, we just pulled out the VW motor and test fit a Mazda 13b thats had a bit of work done to it.

Thanks again, Tom

Question for you Tom. Is this a three piece or two piece body?
1965 Ford Fairlane or wagon door hinges for the early body. Installed on the Avenger body bottom to top, and top on the bottom (I think). Also backwards as to left side Ford to right side Avenger. The later three piece body used Mustang II hinges.

Mine does not have the flip up front or back, its just the 1 piece body with a removable back panel to access the motor.
Thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited:
How about a photo Tom, we can dial in the exact type then. Wondering if yours has the optional rear louvered panel for engine access. I think it also covered the back window.

Last edited:
Heres a couple pics of it, Ive already pulled off that huge ass tow bar/bumper setup he had on it, rite now the doors are just siting in the openings, its mostly a complete car but it is missing the mirrors(easy to get) and the head light covers

Attachments

• GT40.JPG
    GT40.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 1,090
  • GT40 Back.JPG
    GT40 Back.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 906
Tom, I can't tell from the pics where the engine lid/hatch is. Does the rear end have a hinged panel? Appears as though it is a later body with the rocker panels
as one piece, molded with the body. I'd be looking for some Mustang II door hinges
and a way to make them work. Nothing is easy...BTW, good luck trying to find headlight covers. Perhaps there is someone out there on the Avenger forum making them.

I'm not an Avenger expert by any means. I did build a Corvair powered early one in the early 70's. The unassembled kit was purchased from a guy that bought it in the late 60's.
Terrible fiberglass fits, etc. Got it together and sold it to a gent in PA.

Tom, Fiberfab US makes headlite covers... i have a set.. they also have the side windows as they took a mold of of my Avenger windows a few years ago... they are roll down windows by the way... you can convert if yours does not have them... Fiberfab is now located in central oregon. Good luck richard

The back of the car did have a removable panel to access the engine. The doors do have VW bug regulators in them but only the drivers side actually has glass in it

Hi Tom,

I just happen to have an old Avenger "GT 12" manual (2nd edition) and found the following part numbers for the hinges in the parts list:

RH top - c5az-6222810-c
RH bottom - c5az-6222800-b
LH top - c5az-6222811-c
LH bottom - c5az-6222801-b

Then in a "supplement" in the back of the book shows the following for the GT-12B "new door design" and uses hinged from a 1965 mustang with the following part numbers:

c5zz-6522800-b
c5zz-6522801-b
c5zz-6522810-b
c5zz-6522811-b

By the way, I have absolutely no use for this manual (was given to me by a friend who once owned one when I started building my DRB) - - - so, if you are interested in having this thing, let me know & I'll send it up to you (I'm in Northern Ca. in the Santa Rosa area).

Just let me know.

Dave

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hi Tom,

I just happen to have an old Avenger "GT 12" manual (2nd edition) and found the following part numbers for the hinges in the parts list:

RH top - c5az-6222810-c
RH bottom - c5az-6222800-b
LH top - c5az-6222811-c
LH bottom - c5az-6222801-b

Then in a "supplement" in the back of the book shows the following for the GT-12B "new door design" and uses hinged from a 1965 mustang with the following part numbers:

c5zz-6522800-b
c5zz-6522801-b
c5zz-6522810-b
c5zz-6522811-b

By the way, I have absolutely no use for this manual (was given to me by a friend who once owned one when I started building my DRB) - - - so, if you are interested in having this thing, let me know & I'll send it up to you (I'm in Northern Ca. in the Santa Rosa area).

Just let me know.

Dave

The "C5AZ" hinges are full size Ford and Mercury units. Not available save for the odd NOS unit or used. The "C5ZZ" are 65-66 Mustang and plentiful as reproductions at reasonable price.

Back