GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > >

Notices

GT40 Tech - Exterior, Interior, AC, & Trim All that other stuff not in categories above.

Old 11th October 2011, 11:58 PM   #1
wbmusarra
I Have No Life
United States

GT40: DRB#5
Shoulder harness bar?

I have a problem that I think I have solved, but need advice form those in the know. I am looking to add a bar for mounting the shoulder harness. this is part of a 6 point harness. I have the Racetech seats that were originally designed for the Saker car.
RTSAKER : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
They fit nicely in that they are semi recliner and match the angle of the rear bulkhead.
My first choice for locating the harness was through the bulkhead just under the window. The DRBs have this as an integral part of the frame members and is thick.

I drilled holes for a bolt mounted system. The anchors were bent at 90 as shown in all the instructions for the various belt manufacturers. The 3 bar anchor that ties the belt to the bolted anchor winds up hitting the back of the seat. This is disallowed in all the instructions. The angle is less than the 20 allowed.
I didn't want to move the seat up enough to allow this option. I consulted Shepard Racing, the group that did my headers and they felt a bar behind the seat, connecting the cage, would be very difficult to place due to its closeness to the bulkhead. We looked up the rules for the shoulder harness bar(SCCA) and found that it can be a lateral bar connected to the cage, or to a structural member of the car frame. I have looked it up again at home and can't seem to find the exact wording. So I am asking those of you in the know what is allowed. I would like to use the frame member for its simplicity of installation. What are the thoughts out there? I have never seen one mounted this way, but then I haven't read the rules before today.

Bill
DRB#5
351W/408 TWM FI. AFR 205s 930 Porsche LSD
wbmusarra is offline   Reply With Quote