Plumbed In Extinguisher Nozzle Placement

I'm needing help/advice.

I'm looking for ideas on placement of the two extinguisher nozzles in the engine bay.

Does anybody have any photos or ideas.

The nozzles in the cockpit are fairly straightforward.

Cheers,

Geoff.

PS - Hope this is in the correct part of the Forum!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I would put the nozzles at the source of ignition (not far from the distributor) and/or by the source of fuel...

Remember that the idea of a system like this is not necessarily to put out the fire in total, but to buy you enough time as a driver to get out of the car without being turned into a crispin...

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I placed mine on the firewall on either side of the engine. The spray pattern covers the complete engine compartment. The third is in the cockpit, drivers side.

Thanks for the comments.

Do you have any photos Neal?

I had devised a very neat arrangement, mounting them on the firewall above the bulkhead window, facing back into the engine bay, to find that (A) they foul the rear clip, and (B), they spray straight into the rear window area. Not very clever!

Hoping you have something.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Geoff,

I would be interested in knowing what product you are using and where you purchased it from.

Thanks

I keep a bucket of water on the passenger seat Nick, I'm a very smooth, careful driver and haven't spilt a drop.

If your going for IVA test would this effect where you fit the pressurised extinguisher.
I dont know so I have fitted the tube run down the cill / chassis and as yet nothing else.

Nick,

I bought a Lifeline 4.0 litre mechanical system off e-bay. Not quite as much as a bargain as I'd hoped, but are they ever?

Keith, I like the bucket of water idea, but the downfall of my car so far, has been the electrics, so perhaps not a good idea.

Luckily my car has been through the IVA, but in theory the sytem should not be a problem. The cockpit nozzles go under the dash, so you would only have the tee handle to worry about.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Geoff, two things you MUST be very aware of. Firstly I witnessed a small engine fire in an original ( and very expensive ) GT40 , the driver yanked on the T handle, only for the handle and cable to come away in his hand, but did not fire the extiguisher , a little more than mild panic ensued ! The cables are usually only fixed to the firing mechanism by a very poor bicycle type threaded bush, which unless fitted very firmly can slip very easily on the cable. One reason why I now only fit electrically fired extinguishers to these cars. Secondly, I have seen so many cockpit extinguisher nozzles fitted in such away that they will not spray onto the occupants or make a mess in the car. Owners seem to be more concerned over where the spray goes and whether it will cover their expensive race suits or mark the upholstery ! I know that if ever I sat in a car on fire I would want to cover me and as much else as it can possibly reach. A very salutory story involves two guys who went to Le Mans many years ago in a GT40 replica, they were being a bit over exuburant on the roads outside of the circuit, swerved to miss an oncoming vehicle and rolled upside down in a roadside ditch. They did not have an extinguisher system on the car ! Being in a ditch and upside down, the doors could not be opened, and petrol leaking from the fuel fillers ignited ! Neither was injured in the accident, but the passanger succumbed to his injuries from the fire, in the car, and the driver was luckily rescued by a passing fire truck going to the race meeting. He took 10 years to fully recover.
Fire extinguishers will save your life, install them properly and carefully, and get the serviced and refilled every second year. Frank

By the way Frank owns a extinguisher refill co. " Special rates for GT40 customers "
Joking Frank, but you are completely right in what you say.

I have a electric system in every car I have had Thankfully never needed to use it.

I've just had a very depressing conversation with Lifeline re my 4.0 litre extinguisher.

I'd planned to mount it on the RHS of the engine bay - An ideal place, almost made to measure, and I thought I had seen loads mounted there.

However.........The extinguisher operating temperature must not exceed 60 Degrees. Apparently Lifeline have just had one back with the end blown off.

Also, I understand that the extinguishant also breaks down above that temperature.

They suggest boxing in the extinguisher as well as fitting a heatshield, and using temperature sensing stickers to monitor the bottle.

Has any anybody got any experience of all this?

I was just about to fit the plumbing!

Looking foward to seeing what everybody else has done.

Financialy, I'm not really in the position to change it for a smaller bottle.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Attachments

• KVA HEADER TANK + EXTINGUISHER 002.JPG
    KVA HEADER TANK + EXTINGUISHER 002.JPG
    654.1 KB · Views: 359

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Geoff,

I had a large system added to P2264, with the bottle located in the nose, one nozzel next to the distributer facing aft, one in the cockpit and after seeing the old GT40 crash test, one in the nose.

After reading Franks post, I will go home and check the cable attachment.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The cables are usually only fixed to the firing mechanism by a very poor bicycle type threaded bush, which unless fitted very firmly can slip very easily on the cable. One reason why I now only fit electrically fired extinguishers to these cars.

Just a comment in defense of some mechanically-actuated extinguishers: The Safecraft extinguisher uses its solid (not stranded) inner cable as a blocking pin for the spring-loaded valve opening mechanism in the bottle. Thus when you pull the cable all you are doing is removing it from the nozzle mechanism, which then fires on its own. The only way that cable mechanism fails is if you somehow physically break the inner cable, which is very unlikely. The resistance to being pulled out presented by the valve mechanism is very very small; you can slip the wire in and out with finger pressure.

FWIW my setup is similar to Jim Craik's: bottle in front of the footwells, lines running to a central point near the shift lever and another at carb and distributor height on the firewall. Also a small hand-held extinguisher by both the driver's and passenger's outer shoulders.

Last edited:
I have the safecraft system also & operation is smooth and effortless (even my 4 year old grandson can do it - - - just ask how I know!).

One nozzle facing driver from front, one on rear bulkhead facing forward to driver p high. 2 in engine compartment, 1 facing the distributor / carburators from high on the firewall, and one facing directly at the fuel pumps / filters / regulators.

Bottle is in the front under the nose.

I have an electric system, but the pull system is still the same and intend to fit this just in front of the passengers seat.
The pipeline runs down the passenger cill next to the tank and thereafter into the engine bay.
Assists evening out weight distribution and
it's not hot there and dosen't look out of place in my opinion.
But if the bottle exploded you can say goodbye to your passengers nuts.
Not my nuts so that's ok.

I've done some digging around, and found a thread back in 2003, where there was an enquiry as to where the bottle was fitted on the Roaring Forties.

Robert Logan states that they mounted the bottle exactly where I want to mount mine.

Does anybody running an RF have any comments??

Is there ANYBODY out there mounting the bottle on the RH sill in the engine bay??

Hoping to hear from you.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Is there ANYBODY out there mounting the bottle on the RH sill in the engine bay??
Hoping to hear from you.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Geoff,
Yes, that's where mine is located. Frank Catt put it there, where it's in the airstream coming in through the side intake.
Will post pics soon, when I next take the car out of its Carcoon.

Back