Replacement removable steering boss

Hi all

I've recieved the steering parts from Tornado for my car which I am sending up to Gelscoe so I can hopefully have one of thier lovely steering wheels and early style bosses.

Looking at the parts I can see there being a couple of issues with the Tornado supplied boss that might hinder Gelscoe and I wondered if you guys could help advise.

1) The top of the removable part of the boss has a 3 hole pattern to connect to the steering wheel. The Gelscoe wheel should share a similar pattern to moto lita which is 6 holes. Rather than using an adapter plate is there another removable boss that you can buy off the shelf to fit a 6 hole pattern moto lita?
build-october37.jpg

2) My current removable boss adapter will be drill and roll pinned to the steering column and is a hexagonal shape. I can tell from twisting it in my hands that there is slight play between the adapter and the boss so should I look at getting another removable boss that has is splined to reduce the play?
build-october36.jpg

At this point I am unsure of the PCD of the gelscoe wheel so it's difficult to guess what will work but the main question I have is should I replace the current hexagonal style 3 hole boss with a splined 6 hole boss once I know the correct PCD?

Also when fitting a removable wheel to the car will I have to change it for the IVA test or is there an easy way of adapting the wheel for the test?

Any help or suggestions of manufacturers that can provide a suitable removable boss

Thanks

Just thought, the issue with the 2 alternatives above are they include splined 'spigots'. These spigots need to be welded into/onto the steering column.

My boss doesn't have a spigot but an adapter that slides over the column and then is drill and roll pinned so a spigot system probably wouldn't work would it?

build-october36.jpg

Trev

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Trev,

Since you're addressing this concern now I would recommend an alternative to the hex style you have. I have the same design and will soon be replacing it due to the "play" you have described. The rattle on the road drives me nuts.

I recently addressed the issue a couple weeks ago thinking the rattle was due to bad bushings in the steering column. After replacing the bushings with Delron it was apparent the play was in the quick release.

Tim

Trev,

This is Southern GT's solution, which may be of interest.

Attachments

• gt40 004.jpg
    gt40 004.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 374
  • gt40 008.jpg
    gt40 008.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 377
  • gt40 006.jpg
    gt40 006.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 395
Trevor you should look at D1 Spec hubs.
I have used a few splined type bosses and never 100% happy.

The D1 spec is excellent and was not a lot of money.
I made my own mounting flange by cutting the spline off a STD OEM steering wheel and welded it to a steel disk,this deleted the need for a steering wheel boss.

Jim

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I took care of the "play" on the hex shaft by peening the hex corners slightly with a center-punch. It doesn't take much to tighten it up substantially.

Possble solution

Hi all, time for an update.

I contacted a company called RallyNuts this week. Nick there has been very helpful and have come up with a potential solution.

They offer Racetech 6 bolt removable hubs that can be specified with a 1" diameter slug. They say that Racetech will supply them with a blank slug as a special order. The bottom can then be machined out to match the diameter of the steering column (19mm) leaving approx a 3mm wall on the slug.

The slug can then be welded onto the column. What do you guys think, do you think this would work? Racetech have said that a 3mm wall should be thick enough for the application.

RTQNY-34_600.jpg

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Trev, Looks like a nice piece.

Here's another option Steering Wheel Quick Disconnect Rev B-Rennline, Inc. It's designed to match the factory installed Porche GT3 Cup car.

Price seems reasonable. The nice thing is it allows the wheel to slide on in only one location (no need to hunt or wonder if it's aligned right) also its extremely close tolerence, absolutley no play or wobble.

Tim

Trev, Looks like a nice piece.

Here's another option Steering Wheel Quick Disconnect Rev B-Rennline, Inc. It's designed to match the factory installed Porche GT3 Cup car.

Price seems reasonable. The nice thing is it allows the wheel to slide on in only one location (no need to hunt or wonder if it's aligned right) also its extremely close tolerence, absolutley no play or wobble.

Tim

Looks Nice Tim but I can't see how the male section would fit over my steering column, how would it work?

Trev

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
I suspect simply weld a matching flange (instead of a "slug") to the end of steering column

Hi Trev, I have a 6 hole steering boss that I got from
Demon Sneeks, look in there cataloque it's yellow about £ 90 ish.
Made a sleeve and welded it onto the column can now have most of the wheels available.

Get a weld on type

Attachments

• web 2890 b .jpg
    web 2890 b .jpg
    255 KB · Views: 289
Trevor:
There is a nice removeable adapter made by NRG. I believe they have the bolt centers available for your wheel. I will try and post a link here but you can also google it and check it out that way.
I have used the hex and spline adapters in the past and found they all have some play no matter how well machined they are, also the hex can be mounted six ways on the hub.
The NRG unit finds the same spot every time and has zero play.
Good luck
Phil

Mike Pass

Supporter
Have you checked that you actually need a removable steering wheel. I have one and never use it!
Cheers
Mike

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Have you checked that you actually need a removable steering wheel. I have one and never use it!
Cheers
Mike

I agree

about the only time I take the wheel off is when I have to wriggle under the dash to check wires / steering coupling or the like. Daily getting in and out the car is with the wheel on

Ian

Yeah, I want a removable wheel for safety and because I am 6ft 3" and getting my legs into the car isn't that easy to anything to help.

As for the safety comment, I've heard removable wheels are good in the case of an accident. the last thing you want is to be pinnned into the car by the steering wheel.

Back