What wing mirrors ?

In the UK the wing mirrors are to meet the regulations and of course for the test they will.
But after this what would be the correct mirrors in keeping with the period

A few Pictures would be good

Cheers

Keith,
I used the Europa Spares extra large 2-bolt bullet mirror mounted as far forward on the front clip as gave reasonable vision over the rear wings.
This is better than a quarter light mirror as - a. you don't have to look through the acrylic window to see it and b. your vision is diverted as little as possible from straight ahead.
We have to accept that rear vision is a compromise, but unless you go for very non-authentic rear CCTV, this is probably the best solution.

Attachments

• At SpeedSharp.jpg
    At SpeedSharp.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 630

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I kinda like the MKI body style with the MkII snorkels....at least that "view".

If I were to see a full-on side view, that might be different, as the "profile" of the MKI is just my opinion of heavenly beauty.

The mirrors....yep, they just look right!

Cheers!

Doug

Tony,
Those don't pass IVA.

Keith,
I am going to fit some Chrylser Crossfire mirrors to mine. They blend well to the body shape. If you want to borrow to offer up to you body, let me know and I cold pop across one evening.

Brett

I agree with Tony. I also have those bullet mirrors.

DSC_8764.jpg

But I also like the Vitaloni Sebring a lot. Thinking of changing them some day.

Hi Tony, They look good and probably will be the way to go but as Brett says wont pass IVA. The correct mirrors will be fitted for IVA by someone else then perhaps they will get knocked off by 2 lorries one either side of the car at the same time and for safety reasons I will have to fit the Bullet mirrors !

I have also installed the electric mirrors from the crossfire. I love the visibility I have gained for passing. Mine are mounted at the lower front corner of the side window. The only problem is when at a stop sign and you check to the left and right you must look very carefully, as the large size of the mirrors does create a significant blind spot.

Tony, are your bullet mirrors flat or convex ?
and what the advantages of either style ?

Was you and your car at Ascari factory a few years ago.. I was there

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,
Do you know whether the California mirrors you have are IVA compliant?
Thanks
Ian

I believe they may fail as they do not fold back under XXXkg of force as required without breaking!

But I have re read this part of the SVA manual many times and from memory it specifies if anything is 50mm / 2 inches outside the total width of the car it needs to retract under the pressure - widest point of the car is the rear hips - I believe my mirrors may actually fall inside this width.

would I fight it on IVA - probably not

Brett I believe the minimum size is catered for on these mirrors

Ian

I was considering using Daewoo / Chevrolet Matiz mirrors subject to actually finding a Matiz in the flesh to look at them. Small, uk legal (I'm assuming as the Matiz is type approved), available in manual or electric versions and even brand new are pretty cheap.
1038-071010-140053-1-1-34-010-PTIMG.jpg

Tony, are your bullet mirrors flat or convex ?
and what the advantages of either style ?

Was you and your car at Ascari factory a few years ago.. I was there

Keith,
Mine are flat.
Whilst commanding a wider field of vision, I believe that convex ones give a false picture of rear approach speed and distance, both essential if pulling out into a narrow gap.
I'm a bit of a stickler for the 'authentic' look (I know, my Image wheels are awful!), so I think modern mirrors on a 1960s car look anachronistic.
I certainly went to Ascari (in 2004?) but don't remember whether it was in my car.

Tony you did go in your car to Ascari I found some pictures of it.
" I only take pictures of nice cars "

Your mirrors after IVA are the route I will go with.

Cheers

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Keith,
Mine are flat.
Whilst commanding a wider field of vision, I believe that convex ones give a false picture of rear approach speed and distance, both essential if pulling out into a narrow gap.
I'm a bit of a stickler for the 'authentic' look (I know, my Image wheels are awful!), so I think modern mirrors on a 1960s car look anachronistic.
I certainly went to Ascari (in 2004?) but don't remember whether it was in my car.

Tony
Yes you took your car that was the day I tried to fit in the passenger seat!

Ian

Apart from the Matiz, some other options

1) 'New' Mini, IMO too big but others have used them
2) Latest Citroen C3
3) Mazda MX5
4) Latest hyundai coupe.
5) Mazda RX-7, can't remember which year

I also wonder what donor the SPF GT40 uses?
imagefetch.ashx

They're not 'original' 60's and can't see them coming up with a unique mirror for such a small run of vehicles so must come from something else.

Another option suggested is to not fit the side glass which makes it easier to fit a non-remotely adjusted mirror.

David,
I've said before, Chrysler Crossfire works well IMO. I also thought about new Fiesta would look OK, and also have the benefit of having side indicators in the mirror housing.

It was only new out when I was looking a few years ago, but I am sure you can find them around now (also the painted piece pops off, so easier for paint).

Brett

Back