Crotch Straps placement - Where?

I plan on putting in 6 point belts and att he moment am talking to TRS, who will make a belt to my exact specs/sizes. The problem I am trying to work out is where to bolt-in the crutch straps.

My seats will bolt directly into the floor. Thanks

Brett

Re: Crutch Straps placement - Where?

Hi Brett,

I'm using Willans harnesses with crutch straps - If you go to Willans, click on downloads, you will find instructions for fitting their crutch straps, with a drawing showing mounting bolt locations.

(Sorry - I haven't got the hang yet of pasting links onto my post!!)

Keith Baker has also been a big help with this as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Geoff

Brett,

After seeing Keith Baker's photos of his seats, with a slot in the base of the seat, I am going that way, and am just waiting for the trimmers to 'slot' me in after Christmas.

Willans have just altered the mounting for the crutch straps to have a single eyebolt mounting. Horribly close to under my tail, I suspect!

Keith very kindly sent me drawings of the slot position and dimensions.

Cheers,

Geoff.

I have 6 point Willans harnesses but will cut them down to size as they are miles longer than I need.
Yes I'm cutting the seat belts !
My trimming man will re stitch the belts with the same black thread and to the same stitch pattern and no one will ever know, they will be strong if not stronger than originals and be the same as every other car I have had and passed various SVA's etc.
Will post pictures when at that stage.

My crotch straps are attached to the seat.
I mounted a bracket with a bar into the base of the seat,the seat has a sewn in area to suit.
I find it is good because if you move the seat you dont need to adjust the strap to suit.
I dont have it rearward of the jewels as it keeps crushing you., it is below.

I would only put an open wheeler belt in as the adjusters are on the top not on the sides or behind,very important.

Jim

Brett,
Willans have just altered the mounting for the crutch straps to have a single eyebolt mounting. Horribly close to under my tail, I suspect!
Cheers,
Geoff.

Geoff,
Whatever happens, don't put the mounting bolt under your coccyx. Every bump will be excrutiating - I know, I tried it.
Better to split the strap into two and mount them about 45 degrees apart.

Geoff,
Whatever happens, don't put the mounting bolt under your coccyx. Every bump will be excrutiating - I know, I tried it.
Better to split the strap into two and mount them about 45 degrees apart.

So there is my original question again. Where are people mounting them?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Brett
On a space frame I would weld in a bobbin on the bottom hassis rail with the firewall.

Bolt to there and the bolt will be behind the seat.

But then again I'm no expert

Ian

Usually for a 6 point belt, the each end of the crotch strap can mount using the rear 2 bolts of the seat frame, provided that those holes/threaded mounts are sturdy enough.

OK - has anyone got pics?

Either I mount to the seat bottom, but then ensure it in placed approriately (and with flat straps) and also not interferring with my ar$e

or I cut a hole in the rear of the seat, feed underneath the pad and through to mount to the chassis

Mike Pass

Supporter
I have some ally sheet type seats (Wealden Eng.) in my GTD which have the slot in the cushion for the crutch straps to come up through. The seat is bolted in at the rear corners of the seat and these are also the bolts for the crutch straps. On the GTD this is also the position of the steel crossbar on which the original GTD seats were mounted and is the strongest point conveniently available. The 2 straps then run forwards under the seat cushion, meet, cross over and then up through the slot in the seat cushion. The rear bolts have to be in a bit from the edge to allow the triangular metal ends of the straps to sit correctly and low down so that you can't feel them through the seat padding.
Cheers
Mike

Mike Pass

Supporter
Pics of the crotch straps on my GTD as promised. The bolts go through the metal bar underneath the fibreglass floor which was the mounting point for the original GTD seat. The metal ends are very close to the floor to assist with comfort. The straps have a foam pad over them and the set up is comfortable in use. I have rearranged the order of the various washers that came with the straps to get the metal ends as close to the aluminium seat base as possible. The holes need to be out from the sides of the seat frame to allow a good angle of the straps in the slots.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• GTD seat straps1W.jpg
    GTD seat straps1W.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 283
  • GTD seat straps2W.jpg
    GTD seat straps2W.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 274
  • GTD seat straps3W.jpg
    GTD seat straps3W.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 232