rivit nut question, RCR rear glass

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
I am repainting my RCR GT 40 and need to replace the rivit nuts holding the rear glass.

What size and type would be the best? I think aluminum would be the easiest to install. I plan on using stainless button head.

What about the length? In my research I find different lengths but do not know which length would work.

Most of the original rivit nuts were loose and I am going to patch the old hole and re drill them. What material do I need to use to make the repair? Fiberglass resin or 2 part epoxy?

Dwight

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
What size and type would be the best? I think aluminum would be the easiest to install. I plan on using stainless button head.

Here are some specifically for use in fiberglass, although made of steel:

AVK Industrial Products - Products - A-W Series® Knurled Threaded Insert

With the type specified for metal, if you use one of the one-hand (pliers like) installation tools and the thread size is ~5mm or smaller, the steel ones are easy to install. However, I notice that the manufacturer seems to call for the larger two-handed lever type for the AW type as follows. I don't know why so a call to them might be in order. They are very helpful.

AVK Industrial Products - Installation Tools - Hand Tools

These are all available from McMaster-Carr.

For what it's worth I did a similar thing with the windows of my SPF and documented it here: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tec...c-trim/34348-interior-cooling.html#post334801

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
Thanks Alan
just what I was looking for. I need a rivit nut that can be installed into thick fiberglass.

Dwight

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Sure thing. If you learn any more about those A-W type parts, how they're installed, etc., I'm sure I and others would like to know.

Back