windshield question RCR GT 40

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
I am going to remove my windshield. What is the best way?

What is the measurement for the windshield opening?

On mine the glass touches the top and bottom of the frame. I don't think this is the way it should be. When I install the glass I want a gasket around the edge, like a factory job.

Thanks
Dwight

Chuck

Supporter
You may want to have a professinal remove it. It will require that a cutting wired be inserted through the seal and then pulled all the way around to break the seal.

RCR windshields are installed in the same manner as the original: windshield adhesive followed by a bead of caulk smoothed to fill the gap. The rubber gaskets to which you refer are a recent development not used in 1965 on the GT.

Here is an excerpt from my blog regarding windshield installation:

Have a professional install it. If you do it yourself, here are some tips we learned the hard way:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><o:p><FONT size=3 face=
</o:p>
1. Use 3M Urethane windshield adhesive. Run a nice bead along the flat portion of the lip about a half inch wide. There is no need to sand the paint off the fiberglass, but make sure it is clean.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
2. Set the windshield in place, using spacers at the bottom to assure it is centered.<o:p></o:p>
3. Make sure the temporary post supporting the center of the spider is in place.<o:p></o:p>
4. Do NOT use the 3M Urethane to fill in the space around the glass. Wait for the urethane to dry, usually twenty four hours, and then use silicone sealant sold by a home supply store to fill in the gap. It is more easily worked with and does not set up as fast. It is also easier to remove if a mistake is made. We use our finger to carefully spread it.<o:p></o:p>
5. Be sure to mask the spider before applying the adhesive and the silicone. When the silicone has dried, a single edged razor works well in trimming any excess off the glass.<o:p></o:p>

Hope this helps.

Chuck

Dwight

I plan on using a professional to install it but I hope I can remove it without breaking it myself (and a buddy).

Keith Wilson had his installed with the rubber gasket and it looks great. I would like to do the same.
I may have to haul my car 80 miles to Huntsville to get Keith's guy to install my windshield but it would be worth it.

Dwight

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Dwight,
The guy that installed mine actually took a belt sander with 80 grit and cut the windshield to fit the opening (and yes I just about jumped out of my skin watching him). But the end result was perfect. I had several ten pound shot bags that we used to hold it in place as the mastic set up.
The fit of the spider is so crirical that it is best to have the spider where it fits best then cut the glass to fit, but that is just my experience............
Keith

Dwight

Do you think I could get the same guy to do mine? I would be willing to bring it to Huntsville so he could work on it.

Dwight

Kieth,
Would it be possible to get contact info from your installer. Just PM me with it. I will be purchasing a new windshield later on this summer or fall. To have it installed I need someone like him. I am sure there are some in the Atlanta area but I don't have any info as to who is good and who isn't. My current screen has an edge crack, though small It will eventually get worse.
Thanks

Bill

Great to hear that trimming with a belt sander trick. My RCR screen could do with a bit of a trim (3-4mm) as well (due to my spider setup for sure), I don't think he will come to Australia though! I need to look for someone brave and skillful. Getting a replacement screen from Detroit will cost a bit in shipping!

I had my era repainted. the painter removed the original trim which wrapped around the windshield before being installed. No way could i get the new trim to back in. I went to a local glass place he had a roll of half round with a barbed piece. i had to trim out a lot of the urethane with a box cutter. Once i got a nice space all around the windshield i just pushed in the barb side and half round covered all the gaps. not sure what car it came from but i believe he said it was from the rear window of a mini-van.

Attachments

• trim.doc
    19 KB · Views: 215

Dwight

Two days I cut the windshield adhesive with a nylon string. Yesterday Coach drop by and help me set the windshield onto a wood rack that I had made for storage.
We cleaned the adhesive off the body and windshield. I forgot to measure the windshield and opening. But just looking at the windshield before we removed it, it looks to large for the opening. Next I need to space the spider up and see how much room I have for the windshield.
I'm going to have a professional glass installer to install it correctly with a windshield gasket around the edge to make it look factory. I'll let him do the grinding if the windshield needs it.
Now I'm working on the demister grill and electrical.
Thanks for all the help.

Dwight

Back