Pedal update and location on CAV GT40

My CAV has always had the pedals too far away for me. I am 5'9 and the car's previous owner was 6'3. So when I purchased the car it came with an updated pedal set from CAV and I thought I would install it tonight. Well... I can see this is going to be a major pain in the A$$. First of all...the rod coming out of the brake booster is too short now and to the right. Ideas?

20120327_204752_991-vi.jpg

And the throttle cable is too short for this setup...

20120327_204742_55-vi.jpg

Has anybody done this "update". The old pedal set is so close together that I can't even drive with shoes on. That is why they updated them. Anybody else deal with this? Here are some photos of the pedals. The silver ones came in the car, the gold ones are the updated ones.

20120327_204710_983-vi.jpg

20120327_204703_728-vi.jpg

20120327_204655_684-vi.jpg

20120327_204639_848-vi.jpg

20120327_204624_703-vi.jpg

20120327_204610_375-vi.jpg

Sean, It may prove helpful to contact Johann Keyser (US CAV Rep) if you haven't already and don't forget Jean Foure (CAV factory owner) by email in South Africa. Both are always very, very helpful with me and may have step by step guidelines. If you need additional info on either please feel free to PM me. Johann's tele. # is 919-924-9891.

BTW, I'm 5'8" (on a good day) and have been blessed with narrow feet. The old pedal set up works for me but I can certainly see how the new pedal set up would be necessary. I may still do the swap. Also, sadly, your pics did not show up on your post....just so you know.

Sean, it's a little hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the pedal ratio for your clutch is quite a bit different between your old pedals and new. Looks like your old pedals are about a 2.5:1 with the new being maybe 4:1 or so (you may need more throw at the t/o bearing end of things). Just a thought.

I have car 135 and I had to spread, pedals were just to close. When brake and clutch were depressed I would also catch the gas. My mount for the gas know stradles the mounting bolt, that makes it hard to get mounting bolt in.
Sorry I dont have pics.
Randy

UPDATE:

So... looks like the pedal set we were given 5 years ago really does not fit at all. It's over to the left too far...the booster rod would be off by 15deg or so. The throttle linkage is not even close. So... we just moved the pedal set that came in the car back 2.5 inches to the other pre drilled location. I had to extend the rod for the brakes 2.5 inches and now we are in business. Still too close but I might just try bending them in the car when I get them in. We will see.

So I put the pedals back in. Bolted down. Made a new rod 2.5" longer. Brakes work great, clutch master bleed. Now to the throttle. I had to change the length of the cable. Well...now it hits the tube in the tunnel that the cable runs in. So I had to pull the cable to cut back the sheath that's in the tube to give the cable end more room to move back. Cable unwinds (poof). Great. It's custom. I had to goto a bike store and get a tandem brake cable and make a new one. Silver solder, on the ends etc. Pain. 4 hours later I get it back in and now...I am ready to set this car on fire. Who ever designed the pedals was not thinking. The throttle ratio always sucked...now it really sucks. Look at the location of the lever that pulls the cable. It points right at the cable.

The fist 50% of throttle does nothing more than move the cable from low to high and does not even pull the carb open. Why on earth would they do this? There is plenty of room in the tunnel to have that thing pointed up? The best part...it's welded that way. No adjustment. Ahhhhh. Moving the pedals in this car has turned into a two week project.

Pat

Supporter

The fist 50% of throttle does nothing more than move the cable from low to high and does not even pull the carb open. Why on earth would they do this? There is plenty of room in the tunnel to have that thing pointed up? The best part...it's welded that way. No adjustment. Ahhhhh. Moving the pedals in this car has turned into a two week project.[/QUOTE]

Sean, if your car is like mine (CAV 04), there are three different mounting locations for the pedal set to allow bolt in adjustability. I also bent the throottle pedal upright arm toward the middle of the car to accomodate my size 11 feet. Same thing with the clutch (going outward). I also put a 10x10 stainless sheet on the side of the footwell to avoid my clutch foot from hanging up on the carpeting.
I'm not sure about your issue with the throttle cable but have you thought about shortening the arm on the carb? I worked mine to very little play and it works great.
One suggestion, while you have it apart, consider putting in Dynamat or other sound insulation. It really cuts down on the harmonics and makes the interior a lot quieter and more comfortable temp wise.

Back