Early CAV Paint Supplier

Although almost any automotive finish can be matched, does anyone know:

1) what paint manufacturer CAV used on the pre 100 cars?

2) who supplied the stripe material?

3) what is the black finish applied to the underside of the rear bonnet?

4) what finish was applied to the underside of the frame exposed to the road?

Thank you for any assistance.

Mike

Pat

Supporter
I think some of the earliest CAVs used BMW paint. At least that color was on mine. The CAV LeMans blue that came on my car matched up to BMW M5 Lemans Blue. So start with the 2002 BMW colors and see if you have a match to what's on your car.
If you are't sure, a good body shop can use a maching similiar to this to determine what's on your particular car. http://www.cdautopaint.com/images/pdf/color_tools_brochure_am3.pdf

As for the under deck, I use spray bed liner and it works great and resists road rash. You can pick it up anyplace in aerosol form. I also lined my car with Dynomat to include the rear deck insulation.

Thanks Veek. I'll follow the lead and research the BMW paints......I heard the steel framed CAVs were built by BMW but I was not sure about the first 100 (or 62) mono chassis cars; Im in the mid 40's and the color "looks" like poly silver, but I'm not sure??? Any infoon thee strip material??? Also, will the spray om bed liner take the heat. Any idea on the underside of what I'll call the floor pans??

Thanks again.

Pat

Supporter
HI Mike,
If I can help in any way feel free to PM me. My understanding is that the first few (maybe as many as a dozen) MONO CAVs had final assembly done at the South African BMW plant. My car falls into that so I assume that's why I have so many BMW bits on the car, (paint, wheel bearings, switches etc.) The underside is stainless and I put undercoating down there to diminish the road noise, not corrosion protection. My guess is the factory did the same thing. It was probably unnecessry as a big difference occured when I put Dynomat Extreme throughout the cabin. You now can have a moderate conversation during spirited driving with only the purring of the 302 in the background.
For the rear deck, I have bed liner over the rear wheels with Dynomat extreme under the plenum around the carb topped with reflective heat shielding under the front of the engine clamshell and Dynomat under-hood over the collector to and around the exit vent. (See photo)

Hoodliner
As for the flammability of the bed liner, some are, and some aren't so check with the manufacturer of whatever you're considering. Mine was listed as non-flammable but only when cured/dried. Before they cure they'll burn like a flashbulb though. My suggestion would be thin bedliner for the wheel wells and regular high heat primer and flat black for the remainder. Then cover that with the insulation I cited earlier.

Attachments

• P8020015.jpg
    P8020015.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 213
Excellent Veek...your input is invaluable. I contacted Jean Fourier at CAV relative to build sheets, paint info, etc. but by the time he acquired the operation this paperwork was apparently not to be found. I checked the BMW paint guides and there are two silvers very close to my finish but until I get an analysis of how close I'll wait......As an engineer I like to maintain consistency in material properties so if it started with a BMW finish I will likely move in that direction in contrast to having a custom PPG mix. I want to purchase a twin nostril front bonnet panel from CAV and if the car started with BMW paint then that's what I'll continue with. Too bad we don't have a connection at BMW in SA....as maybe paperwork exist somewhere. Back in the 70's I had a few BMW 2002s and quite frankly the paint finish/quality back then was quite mediocre.

Mike K.

Pat

Supporter
Glad I could help Mike.
Why not go to a PPG paint supplier and look at the BMW chips that they have. Heck, even bring the nostril from the car, I bet they could give you loads of info and maybe even match it.
To do some lineage research, you may want to look at the title transfers of your car and find out who assembled it. If your CAV always was an East Coast car, start with Bill Andrews who built several CAVs early on. He's at HRE Motor Cars (516) 378-9492. He was a big help to me.

Last edited:
Glad I could help Mike.
start with Bill Andrews who built several CAVs early on. He's at HRE Motor Cars (516) 378-9492. He was a big help to me.

Wow! I haven't heard that name for quite awhile. Sold him my Noble P4 about 18 years ago.

Back