Sealing Rivits

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dave,

Yes I have used those but they were a bit on the expensive side at the time. We used them to repair an aluminum boat.

I have also used standard pop rivets that were washed in a pan of lacquer thinner, dried and then the very tip dipped into silver colored RTV just before inserting. That worked just as well.. But that was a long while back also.

Are you concerned about water coming through the rivets into the cabin or inside the chassis?

I have used sealing rivets before. They do work, but check the tensile and shear strengths if this is structural.

drive them wet with PRC, basically the way just about every "wet" tank in every aircraft built is done. you can use the technique on solids or blind rivets. for blind rivets, go cherrymax, everything else is a poor second.
JMHO, but i've been in the aircraft / plane building business since i was 17 and have bucked / pulled a million rivets : )

Just use windshield sealant when you pull the rivets.

PRC is hazardous (the cadmium content is high and its a known carcinogen)

Its way more expensive to buy too...if you can get it retail!

Mc master also sells closed rivets that are plenty strong enough in shear for your intended use.

Was looking at sealing rivits for exterior paneling on my chassis.

So some of you dipped each rivit in weather sealing adhesive?

Being a tube chassis I do not thing I am in need of structural rivits or am I wrong?

Sealed rivets are probably a good idea for external panels, wheel arches ect. But if your paneling a space frame then you don't need structural rivets. You should put a bead of sealant between each panel and chassis rail anyway.

Back