What is it?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
About 10 seconds into this vid you can see a round, 4"(?) diam, greenish "something" on the rt rear fender between the horseshoes. I've never seen any other GT40 (or you-name-it) sporting one. It looks like a green lens of some kind.

What the heck is it? :huh:

GT40 MKI Gulf Rambunctious Video

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I can't play it on my IPad :veryangry:Apple so this is a total guess, in some endurance races lights are used to designate which driver is at the wheel.
My guess that is what you saw.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Green identification light used for night racing. As used on some WWII bombers (Lancaster?) if I remember correctly...

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks, guys.

I figured it couldn't have anything to do with relaying any sort of info to drivers of other cars ("rookie"..."slower class"...etc.) or it'd have to be located at the rear of the car.

(It sure seems odd to me, though, that a team would need a light to know who's occupying the driver's seat when a simple look around the pits to see who's missing ought to provide that info! :wiseguy: ['Sorry! 'Couldn't resist!] But, like I said, I've never seen one of these on any car before. 'Learn something new every day. Thanks again.)

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Could be running (or running against) more than one car that at night look similar....

Sure. Teams with multiple cars often alter their individual cars' paint schemes a tad for just that reason. THAT I was aware of! But, like I said, I've never heard of lights being used for that purpose. :thumbsup:

Back