Painting over powder coat

Chuck

Supporter
Can one paint over powder coated aluminum?

I want to "freshen up" some areas. Wondering if any particular prep is needed. Wipe with acetone? Scotch brite pad?

If powder coated aluminum won't hold paint I don't want to attempt it

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Clean it well and scuff it up, then shoot it Chuck.. I haven't had any problems painting over powder coated parts that were damaged or I had to weld on..

Edit - the parts I'm speaking of were steel.

If you like, you can get bomb cans of primer for plastic painting. That will really adhere well to PC parts..

Chuck

Supporter
Thanks Randy

I have some powder scraps. A little experimenting may be in order. From your experience sounds like it should work

I touched up the edges of some of my panels fine after i did some filing and also my uprights with paint. Clean off the area and then apply a primer first. Also i found satin paint worked best to match the colour of the standard automotive black my parts are in. You'd never know which bit was painted if I showed you the panels

When painting over power coat make sure the damaged areas are feathered out with fine grade sand paper (no shrinkage in top coats). When applying primer & top coats allow plenty of flash off time and they must not be wet coats. The thinners (applying too wet)will soften the powder coat edges and cause swelling. regards Geoff

Chuck

Supporter
When painting over power coat make sure the damaged areas are feathered out with fine grade sand paper (no shrinkage in top coats). When applying primer & top coats allow plenty of flash off time and they must not be wet coats. The thinners (applying too wet)will soften the powder coat edges and cause swelling. regards Geoff

Is primer necessary? Plan just a light dusting of the same color to freshen it up a bit and conceal a couple minor scratches.

Chuck:
Most of the new powdercoats are Polyester, basically the same material as a plastic water or Coke bottle, if your can make your paint stick to that you are in business, as was mentioned scuff it up and prime bare areas. I don't know if you have the product there but Krylon Fusion for plastics does a great job.
Cheers
Phil

Back