CAV GT A/C evaporator

Can anyone who has assembled a pre 100 CAV GT or is familar with the CAV GT air conditionig system please provide me with a part number for the AC evaporator, located under the rear bonnet, please povide me with the manufacturer or part number for this systyem.

Thank you..........

Mike K.

Pat

Supporter
My system was made by Dunair in South Africa. In the rear next to the engine I have the condenser unit. The evaporator is up front above the foot wells. Unfortunately the evap nor condenser unit has visible part numbers on them. You may want to check with Jean at Auto Futura. If that doesn't work check out Vintage Air for their hot rod A/C unit.

Thanks Veek....I mean condensor, but amazingly even the web-sites get them confused. I was informed that the A/C supplier has changed but it's likely a Dunair as I beliebe they swallowed up Smiths..........unfortunately Dunair makes many units and trying to track down the origin is tough....given the size it was likely for a very small vehicle.

Mike K.

Pat

Supporter
Mike, have a look at Vintage Air. I thought I was going to have to replace my CAV unit when the circuit board had a relay go bad. Jean at CAV was eventually able to source a replacement but before he found one, I was able to replace the just relay for less than $2. He's always been really helpful even though my car was built well before his tenure.
Before I figured all that out, I started shopping around and Vintage Air had a local dealer and they offered a smaller unit for street rods that looked pretty good. It was compact and would fit in several locations. As you know the location of the condenser next to the engine is a problem as it has to overcome the heat from the headers and it may be a better to move it forward in front of the radiators or even behind the transmission.

Are you sure your current condenser is not repairable? If it simply has a hole it can be repaired.

Thanks Veek....I sent anothermessage to Jean and even contacted Dunair to see if any info is available. I'm sure I can shoe-horn something in but I would like to keep it what I'll call "CAV original" so as not to offend the original (whatever that means) purist. Next question....wher is the unit charged......usually the Low and High connectors are near the compressor. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] as I have some off-line discussions.

Mike K.

Back