Buliding up panel ends

I have a few panels on my RF that are a wee bit short for the gap they sit in. They need building up. I was wondering or hoping more to the point that someone may have some good tips or links to adding material to end of doors to close up the gap?

I was thinking of just adding Bondo to the ends and sanding smooth.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
Depending on how much you need to build up the edge. For a few millimetres I’d do what you are proposing, but for anything larger taper the edge of the panel & then build up using filler reinforced with chop strand glass. Once hardened, grind back & finish with a skim of normal bondo
Regards
Andy

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Depending on the availability, I've found that a strip of 1/8" (or whatever thickness you're looking for to become the gap dimension) sticky-back foam tape, placed on the the untouched panel, becomes a good barrier for the additional fiberglass you would use in Andy's solution (which I agree with). This way you can lay up the additional fiberglass, and then remove the panel, and the edge should be even and follow the same contour of the matching panel, with a constant-width gap. It will cut down a lot of trial fits in your attempt to sand it to a perfect gap. Just make sure that whatever gap setter material you use, that it's impervious to the resin's effects.

U-Pol makes a product called Fibral. It works like magic and I ised it to build up panels, edges and would recomend it any day. Google U-Pol and will see the various products they have. Also found a product by them to bond aliminium to fiberglass SMC

Back