The front clip...what were the cutouts for?

There are three triangular cutouts on the original and most all of the replica, GT40s. One on each side of the nostril and one behind it just in front of the windshield.

What were they used for in the original GT40?

Figure some sort of duct but for what? They are pretty small after all.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
As far as I am aware, the NACA ducts on either side of the nostrils were used for cabin air and the center on in front of the windshield was used for the demister..

Well, that's how I am configuring mine at any rate. There are pictures of the originals buried here that show a lot of that..

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Darrin,

Randy is right, they are called NACA ducts, they were developed in the late 1940's for aircraft. It was a way for a flush opening to bring air into an aircraft without a drag producing scoop. As the air passes over, it rolls downward along the edges and into the opening.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Here is how I did the side ducts, although I've not yet completed the passageway transition from the body to the chassis, you can see where I will be doing it;
GT-Forty.com

Eglitom did something quite similar and is using a clever valve system as well.

My center duct is not yet finalized but is on it's way as well..

GT-Forty.com

Its been almost two years since I have gotten anything appreciable done on my car but hope to be starting again soon!

Thanks Randy. I reviewed your site in detail. It looks great. Wasn't planning to do something that sophisticated. Was thinking more of the lines of hose but I may end up replicating what you did instead. Either way, a shutoff valve of sorts is probably a good idea.

Back