Holman and Moody Chassis Plate

I know there are a few reproduction chassis plate makers out there that make JW Automotive and FAV chassis plates, but does anyone make a Holman and Moody reproduction chassis plate? I have the chance to see the MKII 1015 quite often and noticed it had a HM plate and would like to get one just for the heck of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 778
I assumed that HM would not want their genuine chassis plates out in the public put on other replicas and such that they had no part in.

I assumed that HM would not want their genuine chassis plates out in the public put on other replicas and such that they had no part in.

I wouldnt just assume that to be the case. They don't seem to have a problem selling a ton of other HM branded parts and gear. Right on their website, you can order HM valve covers and racing decals and stickers.

I suspect its all about profit margins.

Anyway, with modern scanning & printing techniques, those plates could easily be reproduced at a reasonable cost.

Just a thought, I assumed that when the eight 1966 Le Mans entered MKII's were assembled they would have their teams chassis plate. Since GT40/P1015 Miles/Hulme was the sister car to Shelbys' teams Le Mans winner GT40/P1046 Mclaren/Amon why did it land up with a Holman and Moody chassis plate when they entered their own two MKII's? I think that Alan Manns' car were assembled (by Alan Mann personal) at the same venue was it near L .A. airport? So I assumed that both the Shelby and Holman and Moody cars were worked and assembled by both sets of mechanics for the Shelby cars in this instance to have a Holman and Moody chassis plate?
Surely all these cars apart from Alan Manns would have originally assigned chassis numbers from the GT40P production run? Would this be FAV chassis plates originally? or were the chassis assigned their number and the individual teams plates used?
Regards Allan

I would assume the plate arrived on the car after it was wrecked in the "s" turns at LeMans 24 hour in 1967. The history books state it was shipped to Holman Moody and stored until purchased by a privateer after that crash. I don't have the books here at work, I think it may have arrived at H-M after the 66 race. It was prepared for the 67 race and shipped to Ford of France to enter it in the race, where they painted it white with the Torino side stripe and thick-two-thins strips over the top in blue and red with #6 roundels. Once in HM's position they "may" have tagged it with there plate for state legal reasons. (IMO) and memory. The car currently lives at The Larry Miller Motors Sports Museum in Salt Lake City.

Last edited:
Thanks for showing the HM plate; very excited to see this on "THE ACTUAL WINNING CAR OF THE 1966 LeMANS 24 HOUR RACE" !!!! I need to go there and see it in person. Is there a remote chance I could go under the ropes and touch it? Need it dusted? Waxed? I 'am only about a 20 hour drive away....................................

Back