Good idea or not?

I am picking up some laser cut 1.5mm panels Saturday but tonight I got to thinking that I'd like a bit thicker metal where my feet will sit inside the car (I'm about 230lbs) and that this might be a way to keep it a bit quieter too. So, I got out the rotary saw and cut a panel out then coated it with a rubberized paint that claims to help reduce noise. My plan is to panel over top of it with the full sheet.

Here is a photo. I know that there will be a slight bump where they meet (I plan to file the end of the 1.5mm panel underneath at the edge where they meet and put a bit more sealant at that area) but I didn't feel like going the entire length as the front doesn't need to care about weight or noise.

Here is a photo of what I have so far. Just plan to put the other panel over it with plenty of sealant then drill through both and rivet them in place. The panel I have cut is a full length going from the very tip of the front to where the lowered seating area is.

Alternatively, I could put this panel on the outside, but then anything that scraped the bottom could rip into it that way.

So...sound idea (no pun intended) or is this something to scrap and just go with the single panel?

Attachments

• CAM00599.jpg
    CAM00599.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 339
Well normally the underside is made from thicker aluminium than 1.5mm...

I can't remember the thickness of the underside off the top of my head but I used 2mm on the tops of the sills and I think it was either 2mm or 2.5mm for the floor, kind of depends what grade you're using (I'm using 5251 for the inside).

Darrin, I don't have any experience with this, yet, but I would think that water would get between the panels.

Joe

Darrin, I don't have any experience with this, yet, but I would think that water would get between the panels.

Joe

Point taken but I sealed them with the adhesive recommended and with all of the rivets in there besides, I can't see it happening.

Back