Those with a quick release steering wheel...

How much play is in them? Not just rotationally, but if you pull back on the wheel does it move at all or is it really locked in?

I was planning to go with an NRG 2.0 quick release but I stumbled on a new design from Sparco that has a CNC machine spline and claims "zero play". Given the spline, it should be close rotationally at least. The only drawback is that you cannot get the horn to work in the center like you can with the more standard NRG model.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Darrin:

I have quick release wheels on both the GT and the Pantera. The GT is a Superformance and it came with it. The Pantera unit came from Hall Pantera. Both are secured by pins and both are rock solid with absolutely no play in any direction. Sorry I don't know the brands and I have never used the spline type.

Darrin:
The NRG quick release has zero play in any direction, and there are two styles, one is a low profile and the other is their standard size unit.
You can find these on Ebay pretty cheap, new they run well over $100., I found one for $30..
My unit had a two stage release with the standard pull-towards-you disc held by a safety pin in the top. I removed the pin as it was really cumbersome to release from a sitting position in the car, and its still really secure.
Also, the wheel always ends up in the same position, no guessing like the hex style.
Cheers
Phil

I have the sparco type and there is no play at all, but I have used the spline type on a couple of circuit racers I have built and although fine for racing as you need to be able to get it off in a hurry, I would not use them for road use as there was a slight movement in them in both directions.

Hope this helps

I've just finished installing an NRG thin quick release system on my CAV GT40. It was necessary to fab adapters on both sides of the wheel and hub. End result was excellent. No play and the added length was a little more than 1.5 inches. I actually prefer the new steering wheel position and the ease of removal and installation is an added bonus to the better entry to the car.

Back