Hanging doors. :)

Anyone know a good build thread that shows how to do this? Like to get some idea of what is involved before I dive into it one of these days in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

Darrin, are you asking is there a recommended manner by which to mount the doors on a GT40? A video of such process?

If that's what you mean, I don't have a video unfortunately. However, being as I've had the doors off my GT40 several times...and take some modest pride in doing it without damaging the doors and also getting them back on with proper gap spacing, I may be able to share some insights.

First, I get some wooden blocks stacked up next to the sill with the top edge of the top block set at the right height for the door including the bottom door gap. This allows you to have the door set roughly at the right height as you're doing the initial fitment to the car. Put a towel on top of the top block so that the door bottom isn't scratched as the door sits on the block.

Next, I'll run some (good/painters) masking tape around the door opening and also the door edges. This helps save the paint if there's a bit of contact/bumping in the mounting process.

Next, get a helper. You can do it by yourself (as I usually do) but it is easier with a helper. Teenage kids are good for this - teaches them some patience, and finesse. And, you can feel free to give them a little smack if they blow it.

I remove the door locks prior to fitting so that the door locks don't interfere with the process.

Fit the door hinges up to the car and do an initial tighten down of the bolts (don't need to be super tight). Mark around the hinge plates so you have a reference point for subsequent adjustment.

Carefully and slowly move the door towards the closed position, but stop short of any misplaced contact. Note the manner of contact or misalignment and adjust at the door hinge accordingly. You'll probably need to adjust in all three axis. It's likely that the gap will be difficult to get uniform on all edges, so split the difference where you can or have to. Keep re-fitting/adjusting and easing the door back to the closed position (or as close as you can get it). You'll need to adjust so the sill gap is consistent and the right size, same for the gap at the front and rear of the door. You'll also need to adjust the "twist" of the door such that the top/horizontal part of the door fits properly into the roof cut out. It ain't easy - a GT40 door is a difficult (relatively speaking) door to fit properly. Keep using the reference marks (a black felt pen works well) you initially made to make the incremental adjustments.

Work slowly and methodically and you'll have the door looking as good as it can. It's possible you may find that the door just won't fit properly (improper gaps) in which case you'll have to consider adjusting the fitment of the front and rear clamshells. This is a bit more work, of course, but the same principles apply.

Once you're happy with the fit then re-fit the door locks and adjust those as necessary making sure the closing of the door locks don't change the gaps and fit of the door. Once you're happy with the fit of the door then remove the initial marks you made at the hinge plate and put some new marks there so you have a good starting point for the next time you have to mount the doors.

Others probably have a better process to fit GT40 doors than this, but this process has worked well for me. You get better with practice.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Really appreciate it this detailed information Cliff!

I loose fit my passenger side door the other day and it isn't too bad fit wise. It is a bit too far inward at the bottom toward the back (3/8") when everything else is aligned but that's about it. The maker seems to have done a pretty good job in this area.

If you get some time, I'd appreciate a photo or two. One where the door mounts and one where it latches. Want to get a good idea of how it should look!

Again, many thanks for writing this.

Hi Darrin,
Cliff has done an excellant job in describing the process and I did mine along the same lines. The only thing I'd add, is that you need to do it with door seals in place, as they tend to move things around slightly
Regards,
Andy

Back