Unless someone talks me out of it...these will be my latches...

Going with the Aerocatch 320-2000 instead of the ever illusive Hartwells. I like the look of these better too actually but of course they aren't original.

Just about ready to hit the submit button on the order... :)

Attachments

• Aerocatch.jpg
    Aerocatch.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 458
Very nice. Not 100% sure how well they'll work though... :)

Well, the front should work just fine as everything is flush.

The rear clip does have the recess molded into it. I measured the thing and it is 1.5" wide. The Aerocatch recessed area is 1.28" wide. It should fit almost perfectly in that spot and I'll just need to cut the spot out below it to fit the bottom section of the catch in the sill.

All in all it should be much easier to do than glassing all that stuff in and less expensive too. Each set of catches is only about $140 delivered to the US (they are made in the UK).

Hi Darrin

I like the look of those, especially if they are matched with the aero style catches for the top of the rear clip.

Although, I'm struggling to see how the bottom sections will be fitted - won't there be a chassis rail running along the top of the sill which will be in the way?

Hi Darrin

I like the look of those, especially if they are matched with the aero style catches for the top of the rear clip.

Although, I'm struggling to see how the bottom sections will be fitted - won't there be a chassis rail running along the top of the sill which will be in the way?

Yes, there is a 1" rail that runs across the outer edge top of the fuel tanks and I've been thinking about that too. The depth of these things is 5/8" and my side sills thickness and the amount they stick out from the rail come to about 1/4". That leaves 3/8" that would need to be cut into the rail on the back side (see photo for the approximate area and size of this). Don't think this outer rail cut will harm much but I will check into it.

As for the front, I'll need to offset the latch a little. The right side of the cut will need to be along the line you see in the other photo (had to remove a small amount of fiberglass to get things to fit just right along the radius). Placing it this way will alleviate the need to cut into the rail.

Attachments

• CutOut.jpg
    CutOut.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 314
  • FrontAdjustment.jpg
    FrontAdjustment.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 278
Yep, sounds like it could work OK. I don't think that chassis rail is particularly structural (apart from side impacts :() ), but you could weld in another short piece under where the cut is which would retain its strength.

Yep, sounds like it could work OK. I don't think that chassis rail is particularly structural (apart from side impacts :() ), but you could weld in another short piece under where the cut is which would retain its strength.

Exactly what I was thinking. The only concern I have it to make sure the tank sets far enough back so it won't interfere. Will check that out now that I have the side sill put back on (had it removed to cut out the small section so the radius up front was matching the clip).

One down (well...almost....some touch up yet to do but it's in there and working)

Attachments

• CAM01160-1.jpg
    CAM01160-1.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 366

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Darrin,

They look good and i'm hoping your happy with them.
Just to correct one statement you made in an earlier post mate.
" the ever illusive Hartwells "
They are available if you care to check my website.
As supplied to a certain well known Head Designer of a leading
Formula One team..

By golly you do, and darn good looking one too from the pictures. I'm pretty happy with the Aerocatch 3s but for those wanting original, the Hartwells are the way to go of course.

Darrin,

They look good and i'm hoping your happy with them.
Just to correct one statement you made in an earlier post mate.
" the ever illusive Hartwells "
They are available if you care to check my website.
As supplied to a certain well known Head Designer of a leading
Formula One team..

Andrew -- I got your email on the latches. I need to find out if they will fit a CAV. I know Superformance and CAV do not use the same size latches. Any advice is appreciated.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Rob,

The latches as you know are a rectangular shape.
The overall sizes are :

Length : 107.00 mm
Width : 23.20 mm
Depth : 25.07 mm

This is the measurement from top of ‘ PRESS ‘ piece
to bottom face of bracket.

Hope that is of some help.

If I can help you further, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Back