Suggestions on this body work?

My front clip on one side in particular (other side is pretty good) has a bit more curve to it than I think it should. I can get the clip and sill to mate by using a latch but the clip side radius doesn't match up to the side sill.

The photos explain it best.

What would you suggest? Leave it as is (not all that bad really), add material to the back of the clip and grind down the outer face, or add material to the side sill to bring it out a bit?

I spent two hours tonight starting on option 1 but it would need much more done to it than I did if I want it to match perfectly. Looks like the clip would need about 1/4" or so removed.

Attachments

• Side1.jpg
    Side1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 326
  • Side2.jpg
    Side2.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 310
They were never perfect Darrin.

The flange is what gives the panel its strength in that area.
When you cut the flange on the corner it will be more compliant to a shape change.
The latch box will have the same effect.

You may be better working the sill or both.

You will need to hold form when you glass the flanges back on, timber cut to the correct profile, one inside one outside and clamp the panel between.

I hate fiberglass its like rolling in honey.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. Gosh that's a lot of work but I guess it is the right way to do it. I'll have to rework the flange as well to make it the same radius as the one on the side sill.

I hear you about the fiberglass. I hate working with it. Sticky, itchy, smelly, dusty, you name it.

So, to make sure I understand, you are suggesting to cut along the red line, then form the flange to the correct radius (approximately cutting along the orange lines), then glassing that back on?

I've got a locator already glassed in on the bottom of the column fitting into the sill I'll probably need to relocate too. Oh well! LOL

Attachments

• Side1MarkedUp.jpg
    Side1MarkedUp.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
That's it.

You can add a new flange to the lower area or leave the existing flange and fill across the gap with glass and mat.
your call.

That sill looks like it pulls in, mine where the same I think they shrink and pull once out of the mould.

It might seem that its work ,trust me you will have it done ready to glue back up in an hour.
Bit of filler, sand ,beautiful.

Jim

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Why can't you just pull the sill in at the bottom (under the car) a bit where the contours will be closer in matching as well as the top flange of the sill will the lay flat?

If nothing else, I would just build it up with body filler.. I had to do this in numerous places with my car..

Why can't you just pull the sill in at the bottom (under the car) a bit where the contours will be closer in matching as well as the top flange of the sill will the lay flat?

If nothing else, I would just build it up with body filler.. I had to do this in numerous places with my car..

I think that would be a good idea but the bottom sill is where it is supposed to be according to the dimensions I got and is bolted in place (used bolts into rivnuts instead of rivets so I can remove them to get at the fuel tanks).

I thought about building up the sill and just gradually floating it back tapering it off along the way too.

I'm strongly considering farming out this section of the work though as I think it will take me forever to get it right and just get me in a foul mood. I'll go to something less dusty, sticky, smelly, and aggravating...like mounting my new Wilwood front brakes. :)

Back