would it work in the engine compartment

I am planning where to put what in the engine compartment. I came to how to do the AC and wanting to avoid running long hoses thought about putting the radiator part in the back of the engine compartment with fans. Anyone try this? If it works for you what do I need to pay special attention to.
Richard

Hi Richard, CAV puts the condensor (with an electric fan attached) on the left side of the engine compartment, works fine there. Try to seal it off from the headers.
Dave

Richard:
I have seen a lot of GTD's done with the condenser unit in the rear, and as you guessed it is shrouded, had its own little fan and they were using one of the side scoops for fresh air.
The problem was the physical size of the unit was limited, and if I remember it was really a tight fit...like everything in theses chassis.
I drove one of these cars and the AC worked OK, I guess its your choice where it goes.
Cheers
Phil

You've still got to put the evaporator in the dash at the front so you still have to run long tubes. Lots of grief for no real gain IMO.

You've still got to put the evaporator in the dash at the front so you still have to run long tubes. Lots of grief for no real gain IMO.

For best efficiency, the condenser should be as large as possible. Best to mount it in the front IMO. It really needs maximum air flow.

A few GTD's were fitted with the ac radiator in the rear - needless to say it wasn't too efficient being near the headers and also not much airflow. Most guys that had that setup have moved the rad to the front of the car now.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Put it in the front. Even though you see GTD's with in the engine room, they really don't work well there. Remember these cars came from England.............Not Texas.......there's a bit of difference between the cooling needs of the two.

Mine is in front and I ran the hoses down the side pod to the compressor and back to the evaporator under the dash. These run lengths are not that big a deal. The ambient air temp in the engine room can be 40 or 50F degrees higher than at the nose of the car out in clean air. That IS a big deal.

The side scoops will not flow enough air at low speed, the area there isn't big enough for a good size condenser, you will have to run fans all the time, the amount of heat soak in the engine room will defeat all the shrouding/ insulation you can come up with, and it's the wrong place to put it.

Put it in the nose.

Back