Gurney bubble..from above?

Are you guys who add a Gurney bubble placing it on top of the door and glassing it in from there I take it? You could do it from the bottom too, but I would think that wouldn't be the way to do it.

Also, mine is slightly tear shaped. I take it the blunt end goes toward the front and tapers to the rear?

Yes, on top of the door, but I set the flange into the door top skin so there was no 'ramp' going up to the bubble. You will need to flare the inner skin into the bubble as well. I removed the whole inner skin and added 5mm of cork then glassed it over. Gives a little insulation as well as returning the strength.
Plus it gave me a bit more head room.

Clayton

Attachments

• 30.12.10 005.jpg
    30.12.10 005.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 394
  • 30.12.10 011.jpg
    30.12.10 011.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 358
  • 08.01.11 001.jpg
    08.01.11 001.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 344
  • 08.01.11 008.jpg
    08.01.11 008.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 08.01.11 017.jpg
    08.01.11 017.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 327

Glenn M

Supporter
Darrin,

The logical way to fit one, from a streamlined point of view, is as you say. But, the other way round actually puts the big end where your helmet is (if you'll pardon the expression!), and is much better from a functionality point of view, i.e. it gives you more headroom when wearing a lid - unless of course you drive around normally with your nose on the windscreen.

Glenn

Clayton, great job on the bubble. Nice touch with the cork insulation too.
Thanks Jack

Darrin,

The logical way to fit one, from a streamlined point of view, is as you say. But, the other way round actually puts the big end where your helmet is (if you'll pardon the expression!), and is much better from a functionality point of view, i.e. it gives you more headroom when wearing a lid - unless of course you drive around normally with your nose on the windscreen.

Glenn
You're right Glenn, I was going to move it rearward and have a small section attached to the spider, like the MkIV.
But as you can see from the middle picture, I would have had to cut away the strengthening rib to achieve this. So this ended up the best location for me.

Clayton

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
One question I have is how was the Guurney bubble mounted on the original cars, glassed in or screwed/riveted? I seem to recall having seem some that are riveted with a rubber seal sandwich, but that may be a replica aftermarket short cut.

I can only recall seeing the Gurney Bubble mounted with the thinner teardrop to the rear.

Julian

Back